Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 414161718192021222324252627282930313234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominion arms tomahawk

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw16 View Post
    Genuine curiosity, what is the purpose of one of these?

Do people use them as throwing axes? Seems like they'd be too small for much use as a hatchet....

(I might be looking for an excuse to sell the idea to my old lady :P)
    Tomahawks are the new "it" item. People that like them generally fall into into two camps: the bushcraft crowd and the tactical crowd. Some people into bushcraft prefer a tomahawk to an axe for hiking because they are usually lighter and can do a satisfactory job of cutting wood even though it's not as good as an axe. There are many YouTube videos about people debating whether an axe (hatchet), large knife, or tomahawk is best for processing wood when you consider the weight to benefit ratio. As for the tactical crowd, tomahawks are apparently popular with the various militaries overseas for light breaching for things like car doors, windows, and house door locks (like a small fire axe). So, I suppose in the case of some sort of emergency like an earthquake or if someone were trapped in a car these might be useful. I've, of course, never been overseas, so I'm just going by what people are saying about that, but as I mentioned earlier, the British press has denounced the use of these "battle axes" used by their troops in an online news article.

And .... yes ... they are thrown in competitions.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    Basically, anytime you don't want to lug around a full sized axe ... these can be useful.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rc_p120's Avatar
    Whoa sweet, how much will these cost?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hokus Grey's Avatar
    I'd be in for a couple. Looks like they'd make great Christmas gifts!
    #BeLoveCreateProtect

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    It the maker capable of DLC or TiC coatings?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    yes
    nice! This vs paint would be preferable. Especially on something prone to corrosion like d2.

Any news?

Sooooo, is the gerber style still in the run?
    Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has.
    - Descartes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    Interesting thread, I see the design of the above axe looks really cool, but with the blade to a point like that it's never going to be practical for cutting wood, other than branches that are small enough that you could easily break off by hand. In terms of bushcraft I think the majority of these would be a fail in comparison of conventional axes.

In terms of carrying around a hatchet to replace an axe, I've taken one with me four wheeling, a substantial (medium sized) pine or spruce thats fallen across the trail takes exponentially more time to cut and remove with the little hatchet. The little things are great for cutting kindling and throwing in the bush when your tired of hacking forever on a log, more so if your plan involves cutting logs for a small fire, just buy a full size axe if your wanting to take something with you in the woods in your vehicle.

The hex cutouts for bolt sizes look neat too (they honestly do) but try changing tires with an axe instead of sockets and a wrench and you'll see the thing is better for throwing in the woods and cursing at then anything else.

Again, the thing looks cool, but I think it's most practical for zombie fantasies, or poorly replacing a machete, or taking pictures of it with your tacticool rifles and knives wrapped in paracord (I'm actually not trying to diss it, I get it, it's fun too).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    [...
    Last edited by Johnyy; 12-11-2016 at 04:14 AM.