Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stun Baton Flashlight (repost)

My friend and co worker was facing two counts of possession of a prohibited weapon because of these.. After over a year of court dates and $7000 on a lawyer he was charged with a single count of possession of a prohibited weapon, given 6 months of probation and his fines total close to $9000... This was in Alberta. The judge told him he doesn't care what he read online, it's a prohibited weapon and will be treated as such everywhere.

Pretty harsh.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
    My friend and co worker was facing two counts of possession of a prohibited weapon because of these.. After over a year of court dates and $7000 on a lawyer he was charged with a single count of possession of a prohibited weapon, given 6 months of probation and his fines total close to $9000... This was in Alberta. The judge told him he doesn't care what he read online, it's a prohibited weapon and will be treated as such everywhere.

Pretty harsh.
    WOW!!! ghostie please comment on this one! All I can say is WOW!!!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Yes true story, I will ask him for pictures of whatever paper work they gave him. (Tickets etc.)

I should have mentioned that he was facing prison time. If he didn't have a clean record the judge would not have "taken it easy" on him.

And before anyone asks or speculates as to what he was doing with them.. He was speeding on his way home from work (northern Alberta pipeline.) The officer found them in the back of his Yukon (not in the driver door or under the front seat.) He told him it's also going to be up to him to prove in court that his intent was solely for wildlife protection and not for humans.

I ordered a cane and baton because I thought these were amazing.. I have since thrown them in the trash.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If they are prohibited, then why haven't the authorities taken them from the retailer! They possess a boatload of them!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    If they are prohibited, then why haven't the authorities taken them from the retailer! They possess a boatload of them!
    I wish I had the answer to that as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I bought thousands of dollars worth of gear from the retailer and they are very trustworthy, not sure what to do, I wonder if there is a way do deactivate the stun function, at least I would have the baton and light still available!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

So the judge didnt care that it was a legal device to posses?
    -SideBurnz-

CGN Ultra frequent flyer st1264's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post

And before anyone asks or speculates as to what he was doing with them.. He was speeding on his way home from work (northern Alberta pipeline.) The officer found them in the back of his Yukon (not in the driver door or under the front seat.) He told him it's also going to be up to him to prove in court that his intent was solely for wildlife protection and not for humans.
    Why was the cop authorized to search his vehicle?

Something about this case doesn't ring true. Not getting all the info here...

I bought one of these... and to be honest, I got it here and have no clue what I'd ever do with it. Looks cool though

This topic has enough exposure now it would be nice to see the importer/distributor comment or provide further direction where their customers are now becoming liable for their product.

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
    This topic has enough exposure now it would be nice to see the importer/distributor comment or provide further direction where their customers are now becoming liable for their product.
    You can be held liable for a pipe wrench if you say/do the wrong things and have a #### lawyer and/or are willing to cop to a lower charge in exchange for probation and a fine.