Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo that is ok for steel targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbill View Post
    AR500, 3/8" thickness if I recall correctly. I can measure next time I'm out in the garage if you like, they have taken primarily x39 & x54r steel core and held up fine.
    Yes, please do. I am particularly interested in how milsurp or steel core ammo (in the cartridges you mention) affects 3/8 inch AR500. At what distance are you shooting it?
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    I shoot my AR500 at 80 & 100 yrds, they've seen 500+ steel core rounds from sks, mosin & svt between my wife and myself. Holding up good enough for me, minor dimples but no craters. The old mounting ears broke off after a few hundred hits and I had to get a buddy to drill new holes. My X39 at the moment is Romanian, I've shot Bulgarian, Czech, new Norinco and MFS x54r at it.

That's great. Thanks for that.
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12