Thread: Gun club membership to buy handgun in Ontario?

Gun club membership to buy handgun in Ontario?

Hey everyone,

Great site you have here! I passed the CFSC/CRFSC courses this past weekend, and I am looking into buying a handgun once I eventually get my RPAL. I've done some research into this but I cannot find a straight answer; everyone is providing different opinions. Anyways, you might have guessed by the title of this post, but I'm wondering if you need a gun club membership to buy a handgun in Ontario. Some people online have said that you do, some say that you don't. I've also looked online through a bunch of retailers that you can buy from online, and they all ask for a gun club membership, so this is leading me to believe the people who say that you do need to be a gun club member to buy a handgun. I'm planning on getting a membership eventually, but I am wondering if I can buy a handgun before I do so. Thank you in advance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer weasel1's Avatar
    Ontario is the only province that will allow you to purchase and bring home your new purchase without a membership. The rest of the country's CFO's make it a requirement. That's why retailers in other provinces ask for it. The correct answer in Ontario is "pending". That said, you may as well get your membership. Not much sense in buying a new toy you can't go play with.
    "We're only immortal, for a limited time." -Rush