Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ballistol 3-in-1 Cleaner-Solvent-Lubricant at AmmoSupply.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    So Ballistol is perfect for cleaning corrosive ammo, is that right ?

No more boiling water and what not ?
    I believe you will still need water, doesn't need to be boiling..but using hotter water just means that it will evaporate much faster. Water is still needed because it's the only thing that will flush/dissolve the salts created by the primers.

What you're supposed to do with Ballistol is get a spray bottle and create something people call "Moose Milk". It's mixture of 1:10, Ballistol to Water. Spray down the chamber with it after shooting corrosive. Then clean and lube as you normally do. I would still get a funnel and pour water down the barrel though.

BANNED
    Corrosive primers contained potassium chlorate or sodium petrochlorate, which is oxidized to potassium chloride or sodium chloride during the ignition of the primer. These salts are ionic compounds which will break down quite nicely in polar solvents like water or ammonia. People like windex because they think the ammonia is better at dissolving those salts. There is no longer any ammonia in windex.

For the record, hot water does more readily dissolve those salts than cold, but given the amount of salt present, it isn't crucial. And certainly doesn't need to be boiling.

Rinse the metal with water to dissolve the salts and wash them away, then use an oil to protect it from the water. The "corrosiveness" of the ammo is because those salts are hygroscopic - they attract water. Rinsing with water to flush the salts and then leaving it wet makes no sense whatsoever.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    So Ballistol is perfect for cleaning corrosive ammo, is that right ?

No more boiling water and what not ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobwall View Post
    I believe you will still need water, doesn't need to be boiling..but using hotter water just means that it will evaporate much faster. Water is still needed because it's the only thing that will flush/dissolve the salts created by the primers.

What you're supposed to do with Ballistol is get a spray bottle and create something people call "Moose Milk". It's mixture of 1:10, Ballistol to Water. Spray down the chamber with it after shooting corrosive. Then clean and lube as you normally do. I would still get a funnel and pour water down the barrel though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123