Thread: Cool Gun Of The Week - July 20th, 2016

Business Member

Cool Gun Of The Week - July 20th, 2016

Hi all,

I've found more and more that lately, I spend more time fixing computer issues, doing paperwork, and generally not getting to talk about guns as much as I used to. I've also noticed that we've had some pretty neat stuff come in that just doesn't fit well with our local market, website, etc. etc..

So, in order to solve both these problems, I'll be doing this "Cool Gun Of The Week" thing, featuring some pretty unique or unusual stuff that we have around. I get to talk about guns again, and you get to see some neat stuff!

Any gun purchased from these threads will come with a bonus knickknack.

Anyway, this week's theme is

ARs That Don't End In 15

Henry AR-7 U.S. Survival Rifle

What is it?

The AR-7 was originally designed by Armalite as an air crew survival rifle back in the 1950s. They didn't really end up taking off in North American service, but still see use in the Israeli Air Force. The early incarnations had a few issues with barrel quality, but in 1997 Henry Repeating Arms took over the production, fixed the issues, and re-introduced outdoorsmen and bush pilots everywhere to this handy little rifle. It's a pretty ingenious design - the gun comes apart in a few seconds, all the components stow in the stock, and the whole thing floats. Great little piece for boaters, or guys who confuse their ATVs for boats sometimes. Also works pretty good for it's intended purpose!

Why is it cool?

- Well, the gun comes apart in a few seconds, all the components stow in the stock, and the whole thing floats. Didn't think I'd have to say that twice.
    - These shoot really well for such a portable design, and feed most round nose ammo pretty flawlessly.
    - It's under $400, which makes it cheaper than a 10/22 Takedown or a Marlin Papoose.
    - Besides the stock, the whole thing is completely coated in Teflon, making it pretty much impervious to the elements.
    - It has "AR" in the name and you can legally shoot coyotes with it. Yeah, I know it's not quite the same, but hey.

What’s it worth?

$349.99 plus your appropriate provincial taxes.
    The product code on this is: 619835002006

Christensen CA-10 Recon

What is it?

A high end, lightweight, carbon fibre AR-10. These are pretty fully loaded rifles, with Christensen's version of some of the more popular aftermarket parts already installed. These things shoot very nicely, and felt recoil is suprisingly not much more than what you'll get off an AR-15. When it was first designed, the AR-10 was an incredibly advanced gun, using the latest materials and construction techniques of the time. The Christensen version takes this same design philosophy, and applies it using today’s most cutting edge resources.

Gotta mention, this one is our demo model - about 100 rounds through this one.

Why is it cool?

- It's seriously light (about 7 lbs), even with the rails, storage compartment stock, medium heavy barrel, etc. etc. - there aren't corners cut here to save weight.
    - When are AR-10s not at least kinda cool?
    - Christensen advertises these as a very high-accuracy MSR. As far as I've seen, they live up to that claim.
    - It has "AR" in the name, and you can theoretically shoot most stuff in North America with it quite ethically. Yeah, I know legally and ethically are different words that restrict this to theoretically, but hey.

What’s it worth?

This one is now sold!
    Last edited by Corlanes; 07-21-2016 at 11:50 AM.

That Henry AR is a pretty slick rifle!
    Just finished reading 'Unbroken' - almost comical (if it wasn't so f*^%ing sad) how poorly equipped the life rafts were even up until the middle of WW2

The latter (CA-10) is restricted, correct? What is the AR-7?

Non restricted.
    I've got one like pictured.
    It's a blast and very accurate out to the 100 feet I've played with.

Business Member
    AR-7 is non-restricted, and pretty neat. I've got one myself (got tired of leaving Cooeys in the river when we'd go canoeing), and it's been responsible for more fire-baked chicken than anything else I own.

The Christensen is restricted, and it's now also sold!