Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 356789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New Product Announcement - 2 way radios

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    Switch it to high power (there are 2 settings in the menu). I have 6 Baofeng UV-5Rs, the range is closer to 10km in the bush lol.
    us BC boys aren't going to get anywhere near that. Not only are we talking denser forest, terrain is a huge factor.
    Only men of good will are capable of committing the most grievous of sins.

Best practice with thees radios is to keep to the FRS/GMRS channels in the 469MHz range. This will keep the IC off your back since it is public frequency band. Still is over the 2watt limit but unlikely they will enforce on these bands.
    CCRF member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Arclight's Avatar
    I can get about 1km range out of my UV5R with a Nagoya antenna in heavy, rocky forest. How are folks getting 5-10 km out of them?
    Vae Victis

CPC and OPC party member. CCFR, and OFHA member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Arclight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grox6 View Post
    (Warning: I tend to ramble when I've had a couple drinks)

I think they are both right: From my interpretations of their posts snapshot and badshotbob agree with each other.

In post #86 snapshot quotes a regulation that translates to: Anyone can use a ham radio as long as they are supervised by a license holder. While not explicitly stated in the rule that snapshot quoted, the corollary of that rule is that an unlicensed person is not permitted to transmit unless a licensed person is babysitting them (able to stop a transmission if things go sour). At least, that is the way it was taught to me when I took my ham classes and I recall reading a lot of material on the IC website reinforcing this point.

Post #86
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...1#post12842014

In post #88 badshotbob says that the scenario that surplusshooter was inquiring about would be illegal:
    (don't confuse surplusshooter with snapshot)

Post #88
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...1#post12842124

Surplus shooter asked the question of whether or not it was OK for him to give radios to unlicensed users so they could communicate with him remotely. The rules say that the only way unlicensed people can legally transmit on ham radio frequencies is when they are directly supervised by a licensed operator(the "control" operator). So, from what I have been taught and read; I agree with badshotbobs opinion that the proposed scenario is illegal.

Anyway, I've done a lot of reading on this topic and everything I've seen reinforces that IC is against unlicensed users TX'ing if unsupervised. And, supervision translates to having a trained person(license holder ) able to step in and stop things if the untrained person starts breaking rules. This is a common theme throughout the international amateur radio scene and it is meant to keep the airwaves less chaotic and more usable/functional.

Now, Canada is a fantastic place to live and there are no restrictions on the sale of transmitters like these baofengs to the general public. So, anyone can buy one of these radios and benefit from them(or abuse them). If used sensibly you may never have to worry about getting fined. But, if someone makes a nuisance of themselves, IC has the authority to penalize/punish them. And, there are some guys out there who make a game out of trying to track down unlicensed users.

As for my personal stance on all of this: if someone is abusing a repeater, interfering with a net, or otherwise messing with lawful radio users, I'd want that person tracked down and taken off the air and I might offer to help with the tracking effort if I could. But, I'm not going to dump on someone who's calling out the KM markers on a logging road and I'd put no effort into chasing someone running simplex on a 5 watt UHF hand held in the deep back woods.

Oh, and from what I recall the laws are written so that in times of emergency life/safety issues supersede IC radio regulations. ie. If you are in the woods with a ham radio and your hunting buddy has a heart attack, f**k the legislation and call for help however you can. In this scenario a Baofeng could be a life saver. But, on that note, if you take the ham radio course and get your amateur license you might just learn how to properly use your radio and that would make it far more likely that you'd succeed in finding & tripping a repeater which in turn would give you the ability to call for long distance help. If you just buy one of these radios and stick it in your glovebox there is very little chance you'll be able to pull it out in an emergency and use it unless you had some training and practice(or radio config help). So, I encourage folks to take the course, get legal, and move on...

Crap, that was way to much typing. I should have stopped at "I think they are both right"...
    Your right, if there is an emergency call for help. Don't worry about Industry Canada.
    Vae Victis

CPC and OPC party member. CCFR, and OFHA member

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    If you know the frequency of your kenwood then yes. A nice feature on these is you can key in nearly any valid frequency you want. I have one with the large battery pack and it will last a very long time depending how much your transmitting/receiving. I backup what a few others are saying about the distance too, I have had them working up to 12 to 13km on hilly thick bushed logging roads.
    Very illegal!!! Commercial licenses specify designated radios and non user adjustable parameters. Commercial radios also have more stringent specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Your right, if there is an emergency call for help. Don't worry about Industry Canada.
    But still an illegal act ... as told to me directly from Industry Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by badshotbob View Post
    People seem to think these are ham radios. They are not.

Having said that, they can be programmed to operate on the ham bands.

People tend to buy these and program in the FRS/GMRS frequencies. One of the reasons why they do that is because there is less chance of being caught. Also if you are using it on the FRS frequencies there is less of a chance of causing interference to ham radio users, commercial, marine, etc. Remember you have to be responsible with these things.

As far as value they are not the same quality and ease of programming, etc. as the standard "ham radios". You just have to ask yourself how much you want to pay. The price on the radios that CanadaAmmo is selling are great prices. For the money you can't go wrong. I have purchased the 888s before and they are a great radio for the price. Zero regrets in buying them.
    Still Illegal ... a point to note ... industry canada can and will confiscate any radio capable of transmitting outside of its legal designated range and radios being in possession of those without the required licensing... a couple of years ago in BC, industry canada was accompanying commercial road checks and RCMP speed traps doing just that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    All I want to know is if these are useful when the SHTF. When the elaborate rules won't matter.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Still Illegal ... a point to note ... industry canada can and will confiscate any radio capable of transmitting outside of its legal designated range and radios being in possession of those without the required licensing... a couple of years ago in BC, industry canada was accompanying commercial road checks and RCMP speed traps doing just that.
    ummm.... ya... I agree... that's why I wrote "...there is less chance of being caught". If it was legal people wouldn't have to worry about being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I can get about 1km range out of my UV5R with a Nagoya antenna in heavy, rocky forest. How are folks getting 5-10 km out of them?
    People aren't getting 5-10km out of them... Besides... why would anybody buy these radios to only get 5-10kms out of them when they can go and buy FRS radios that get 60+ kms... ;-)