Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New Product Announcement - 2 way radios

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by legi0n View Post
    nope, these have no channels.
    when you study to pass the exam for the licence you learn how to select the communication frequencies.
    Yes, the UV5R's do have channels. But, you need to program the frequencies into the channel memory bank.

Studying for the amateur radio exam will help you understand the concepts, but the techniques required for programming frequencies into a ham radio are different for different manufacturers and sometimes even for different models from the same manufacturer. You have to read the manual for whatever radio you are trying to program.

The UV5R does have channels but they need to be programmed to contain similiar frequencies between the handsets so that Channel 1 on both handsets use the same freq. Programming the frequencies into the channel memory bank can be frustrating if you are not comfortable with these kinds of units. If you want a plug-and-play experience, buy a FRS or GMRS radio. But, if you want a more powerful and far more flexible radio, these UV5R's are great. Just keep in mind that to use them to their full potential without fear of penalty, you require a license and that license requires training and passing an exam.

Here is something that you can't do with an FRS, GMRS or CB radio: You can't listen to logging road frequencies. With these UV5R's, you can program in the frequencies used on whatever logging road you are traveling on and stay informed of anyone else who is calling out their position on that road. ie. A UV5R might save you from a head on collision with a logging truck on a one-lane dirt road. And, while illegal due to Industry Canada regulations, I'm betting the logging truck drivers would appreciate it if you would also call out your position and direction of travel on that road.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brocolt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grox6 View Post
    I recall looking into this and if my memory is correct, the rules state that you can only use radios approved by Industry Canada for use on the commercial frequency licensed to your employer. ie. You are not supposed to use your personal ham radio to tune into your employers commercial frequency and transmit. That being said, I don't know how anyone would ever know that you were doing this unless your handset was shoddy (sending out "spurious emissions", etc) and IC was called in to investigate.
    we don't rent radios anymore we buy them from a Kenwood dealer they program them and we use them. We don't see the dealer after that unless it's a very large event and we need radio rentals for a weekend.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocolt View Post
    how do you like your UV82 radio as I'm thinking of this model or the UV-5R
    I don't want to derail Canada Ammo's thread so I'm hesitant to say much about the UV82 vs the UV-5R's that he is selling. If Canada Ammo wants to import and sell UV82's, I think it would be a great addition to his product offerings. But, for now, you can't go wrong at the price he's charging for his 5R's.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brocolt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grox6 View Post
    I don't want to derail Canada Ammo's thread so I'm hesitant to say much about the UV82 vs the UV-5R's that he is selling. If Canada Ammo wants to import and sell UV82's, I think it would be a great addition to his product offerings. But, for now, you can't go wrong at the price he's charging for his 5R's.
    agreed pm me your views on this model. It would be great to see the UV82 model being sold by CamadaAmmo. I read good reviews online but would like to here from a Canadian who used this model.

CGN Regular
    not trying to derail thread, will remove if Can am wants, but if I get a couple of these radios, do the ham operator course, can I lend theses radios to unlicensed ham operators for the purpose of keeping in communication, without breaking the law while still using to full potential? I would be on the frequency with everyone else, and would be in charge of said radios. I figured this is a relavent question to many who are looking to purchase these, hence why I am not starting a new thread in legalese.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
    not trying to derail thread, will remove if Can am wants, but if I get a couple of these radios, do the ham operator course, can I lend theses radios to unlicensed ham operators for the purpose of keeping in communication, without breaking the law while still using to full potential? I would be on the frequency with everyone else, and would be in charge of said radios. I figured this is a relavent question to many who are looking to purchase these, hence why I am not starting a new thread in legalese.

From RIC-3:

1.5 Non-Qualified Persons

Non-qualified persons may use an amateur radio station provided a qualified operator is in attendance to perform the control functions.

CGN Regular
    Ordered 6, thanks for bringing these in!

Quote Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
    It would be illegal.

People seem to think these are ham radios. They are not.

Having said that, they can be programmed to operate on the ham bands.

People tend to buy these and program in the FRS/GMRS frequencies. One of the reasons why they do that is because there is less chance of being caught. Also if you are using it on the FRS frequencies there is less of a chance of causing interference to ham radio users, commercial, marine, etc. Remember you have to be responsible with these things.

As far as value they are not the same quality and ease of programming, etc. as the standard "ham radios". You just have to ask yourself how much you want to pay. The price on the radios that CanadaAmmo is selling are great prices. For the money you can't go wrong. I have purchased the 888s before and they are a great radio for the price. Zero regrets in buying them.

CGN Regular
    Just do your research when you're programming them. I belong to the local volunteer fire dept and have mine tuned into our frequency which can still get me in trouble as it's not a licensed handset under that license. As I mentioned in my earlier post, these cover a lot of bandwidth and if you're not careful, you could end up on the Tx side of the local police department. With the frequency step, you might not ever know that you're talking over an emergency channel(duplex repeaters transmit on one frequency and receive on another.)