Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New Product Announcement - 2 way radios

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    1-2k,,,, you could almost holler that far! But then everyone would hear you!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by randyhub View Post
    Exactly.

I did not buy my Baofeng Radios until I realized during the flooding in Calgary getting a cell call was next to impossible.

Now I have radios in my truck and home, at least a person would have some contact if things get goofy.
    On the topic of civil emergencies like the Calgary flooding... For those of you who are civic minded and who are licensed radio amateurs(or looking to become licensed) and living in the lower mainland: You may want to look into volunteering with VECTOR(http://vectorradio.ca/). The City of Vancouver has a close association with VECTOR and there are plenty of opportunities to do volunteer work outside of a civil emergency(doing communication support work for the fireworks, sun run, and other large civic events). You'll need your amatuer radio license(you can take the course through Vector), you'll need a criminal background check(You're a firearms owner so that shouldn't be a problem), and you'll want a radio(One of these Baofeng UV-5R's is a very inexpensive way to get started).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I did not realize a set of inexpensive walkie talkies could have so much administration and bureaucratic baggage associated with them? Tests to pass, licenses to buy, criminal background checks, yikes!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbs View Post
    I did not realize a set of inexpensive walkie talkies could have so much administration and bureaucratic baggage associated with them? Tests to pass, licenses to buy, criminal background checks, yikes!
    You can still by inexpensive "walkie talkies" with no baggage.

These units CanAm is selling are not inexpensive "walkie talkies", they are very inexpensive Chinese, VHF/UHF DualBand Handheld Amateur HAM Radio Tranceivers.

Similar performance in a Japanese build were $500 not that long ago and even more for a basic 2 or 3 channel non programmable radio before that.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    Next shipment we will have a whole bunch of program cables, accessories, etc.

I will also look into order the antenna upgrade. I have one on my Icom HT.
    Ordered 2 will be interested in the program cables and antenna upgrade.

Thanks
    Last edited by SigWig; 08-01-2016 at 06:14 PM.

definitely worth getting a ham operator license to use these at their max potential.... You also get cool license plates with your callsign that keep cops off your ass (not by law or anything, but if they see you in the backwoods with HAM plates, they usually just assume you're a stand-up member of society)

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    You can still by inexpensive "walkie talkies" with no baggage.
    bah ha ha, too funny

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbs View Post
    I think he was saying that to join that group (vector) you need to get a licence and background check, not that you needed them just to buy a radio.

Either way, I have an RPAL and an RRO, so I'm good to go.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    It's pretty crazy, but, I think they still do work even if the operator doesn't have a license.
    Crazy I know, but I've seen it. Expected the guy to burst into flames or be swarmed by black helicopters.
    But. Nothing.
    Crazy... LOL!!
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Hhutch View Post
    I see the HAM band getting tossed around but these don't stop there. They range through pretty much the whole commercial, government, HAM, private license and Marine VHF and UHF frequencies. If caught transmitting(causing interference) on a regulated frequency, you could find yourself with some hefty fines.
    Hmm... for some reason I just started thinking about that old Christian Slater movie, "Pump Up The Volume" (1990)