Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better to File PAL and RPAL together or separate? (BC)

Better to File PAL and RPAL together or separate? (BC)

It seems like RPAL takes longer and I want to buy a non restricted gun first anyway, I don't care about the extra $40. Am I better off filing the applications separately in order to get my PAL sooner? How much more time is RPAL on average in BC?

Honestly you're probably better off just filing it all at once. Some people that just go for PAL's have long wait times.
    Biggest thing is just stay on top of your application through the webportal to stay up to date on the application.
    When you call in to do your interview (best to call into them after you've seen the application show up online) be polite and just ask to make sure that everything is in order and that you aren't missing any information and that everything is legible. Once this is all done it generally speeds up from there.

Do them both at once if you can, takes just as long to get your Pal as it takes to get your Rpal, and the more Rpal holders the better
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Why do it twice if you don't have to, trust me you will want to have your rpal at some point. All I was interested in in the beginning was NR firearms, that changed quick fast.

I did my pal and real together. Filed the next day.(in the morning with both papers) I got both do everything in a total of 33 days. I'm also from BC!!

The biggest hold up for RPAL seems to be them waiting for proof of a gun club membership. But they seem to not want to inform you off that. Plus there is no provision to send in the info. on the online forms. I had to call in after about 3 months wait with no word. ( I renew at least 6 months early just for reasons like that)

Why would they need proof of a gun club membership? You don't need membership for an RPAL. I didn't have membership until after I got my RPAL. As a matter of fact, my club wouldn't sell me a membership UNTIL I had my PAL. I only gave proof to facilitate the quick transfer of my first restricted, about month or so after getting my original RPAL.

Ok looks like I will file together. I was just thinking if they're going to give me a hard time it's probably going to be for the RPAL (I'm worried they will give me the run around or just refuse it altogether) but if I have all my ducks in a row then I guess it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLP999 View Post
    Honestly you're probably better off just filing it all at once. Some people that just go for PAL's have long wait times.
    Biggest thing is just stay on top of your application through the webportal to stay up to date on the application.
    When you call in to do your interview (best to call into them after you've seen the application show up online) be polite and just ask to make sure that everything is in order and that you aren't missing any information and that everything is legible. Once this is all done it generally speeds up from there.
    Also inquire as to whether your references can call in for you as opposed to waiting to be contacted. Had my reference call in, after his interview about 2 hours later, the site showed my app had been approved and my R Pal was issued. I received it about 5 days later in the snail mail. Main thing to remember is when talking to them via phone is, you get more flys with honey vs beating them with a stick, if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Cool View Post
    Ok looks like I will file together. I was just thinking if they're going to give me a hard time it's probably going to be for the RPAL (I'm worried they will give me the run around or just refuse it altogether) but if I have all my ducks in a row then I guess it should be fine.
    I'm 41 years old. Never shot a gun in my life until a few weeks ago. Did my PAL and RPAL courses about 4 months ago, applied for license, and 28 days later had a nice fresh RPAL in my hands (NO calls made. To me. To my wife. Or, to my references). I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. They're not going to process a PAL any faster or slower than an RPAL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast