Thread: Looking for a little feedback

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar

Looking for a little feedback

As a lot of you know the Rob Furlong Marksmanship Academy will be putting on a couple of courses in Manitoba in August and October.

I'm looking for some feedback from folks who have taken the pistol course and the carbine course.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences, considering this is going to be something that is very new for those of us in this part of country.

I'm personally quite excited about it all so looking to hear from those who have gone before me!!
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

I have been taking every course i could afford for the better part of 7 years now, with a very long list of training providers. I have taken a few courses from RFMA, basic/adv. carbine, and basic marksman, and will be doing one or two again this year. i can tell you without hesitation, RFMA is among the best instruction you will find, not just in canada, but the world.They run the line very professionally and make sure to walk it to get o one-on-one look at eachh shooter to give the instruction they individually need. Thats the formal low-down for anyone who does this kind of training, if you are new to this style of shooting, heres the low-down for you. The day is going to start fairly simple and a bit slow (dont worry though, its still very interesting) as they have to teach you a new way to stand and shoot. the first couple hours will be a constant flood of information, not enough to fluster you, but you will feel like you have learned something, thats for sure. after that they will keep building and pushing, at the end you will be shooting faster than you ever have and keeping a decent group doing it. its more dynamic then your typical firing line and you will learn how to be more comfortable with your firearm, without sacrificing respect or safety. the principles of 3-gun were built on a foundation made of the style RFMA will teach, it will make you a better competitor if thats your game. even if its just something different to do on one of your weekends, its a ton of fun, and very addictive, so pm when you finish basic and ill tell you about advanced as i know you will want to take it.

With RFMA you are going to get top notch instructors, more fun then you can throw a handful of brass at, and some pretty awesome skills. you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has taken a course that would say different.

NOw that is the kind of feedback I'm looking for! I just hope they get the numbers of folks interested to make sure the courses are a go!

You will not be dissapointed. I have attended there Carbine Level 1 and the instruction and professionalism is top notch. The layout of there courses is excellent to work with every student, weather they are as green as the grass or have lots of experience to help shape there skills and give them the best instruction possible. The instructors are solid and are in my mind some of the most professional instructors I have ever met. I have nothing but great things to say about RMFA and will most definitely take more of there courses in the future.
    Welcome to Alberta! The patron province of shootin stuff!

I have taken a notable amount of training throughout my involvement in the tactical industry, from a decent range of instructors/ schools. Often while teaching or conversing amongst my peers we will get on the topic of which training I've take that has influenced me the most. Every time I have this conversation, it results in the same cadence. I want to be careful not to discredit any of my instructors or schools as I value them all, so please don't take this as a "one is better than the other" They each have their own unique and worth while curriculum. Each that I have attended are worth their money, however each offers a definitive brand and flavour from specific and worth while back grounds which is factored in with this cost of the course.

I can absolutely say Furlong academy courses are without question worth their money. Yes they are higher on the scale and its easy to say well I can take 1.5
    Course for the cost a RMFA course, but please bear in mind what your paying for. I'm not sure if it's my place to publicly disclose the credentials of the instructors but I can say they are of the highest caliber. They are highly trained, highly accredited, extremely knowledgable and capable within the subject matter they are presenting to you. I had taken many carbine 1 and carbine 2 courses prior to taking a RMFA carbine course- the level and degree of training was a whole other realm. It was a new level of proficiency to strive for. I would never be foolish enough to say I had mastered any of what I had been previously taught, but I would say I have become capable enough to be moderately proficient.

I have earned the nickname of joker amongst my peers due to my light hearted demeanour and playfulness off the line, however, when it came to training with Furlong academy, there was no time for that. The course content was such a departure from anything I had experienced and become complacent to before that I was concentrating to absorb what I was being taught, pushing myself to be successful with the drills and manipulations. Again just to be clear, this does not mean it is only for a "certain level of shooter", it is material that anyone can receive. I say this all because it was such a stark departure from the regular material you would receive from another school is where I seen the worth and what I strived to absorb. So I was quite surprised at this.

From the moment the course starts it is up to you to make the most of it, as true with any other course mind you, but what is availible to you is defiantivly different. The instructors whom teach you are switched on, they're not there for a paycheck, this isn't another course for them to teach- this is training and they take training seriously. You expect them to be there to teach, not joke around, tell stories and get all buddy buddy- they make time for that after. During course, you can expect them to be there to teach, just as much as you are expected to be there to learn.

As for course content, there is a lot of time spent on technique and the why. Not just a new way to operate your firearm, your taught how to truly run your firearm. Your not critiqued by just one instructor, your are "coached" by three instructors, each with their own insight into why this technique is useful. Through this you gather a solid understanding of why it is employed and a respect for the time that is given to teaching it to you.

The courses I've been to from RFMA, I have seen some fairly seasoned gentlemen, respectfully "up there" in age, fairly new shooters, fairly recreational shooters as well as experienced shooters and even competitive/ 3 gun shooters am to which have benefited immensely from the course material, instruction. You are expected to know how to operate your firearm, however, the instructors don't present the material and leave you in the dust to figure out how to employ it, they work with you to figure out how to employ it for yourself through your ergonomics and experience.

The course style- other schools I've been to have taught defensive, "pull back and hold your own" style. Others a "get off the x and get out of there" style. RMFA is a very aggressive, move in and dominate style. Done with superior technique and manipulations.

Your not making noise, your making shots, and your not just sending a bunch of lead down rage to feel cool, the round count is healthy, but defiantly heavy. I've never heard anyone say "well that was fun, but I wish I had got to shoot more." Usually everyone walks away still processing and digesting what they've been handed for the past few days.

Ultimately, yes RMFA courses are worth your money. Other schools still have their worth absolutely, but RMFA courses are defiantly worth the time and money.

I have recently takin the carbine level 1 course through RFMA and was very pleased. One of the things that pleased me the most was learning from an instructor that has had combat experience. So not only do you learn "how", you also learn "why". I found the instruction and exercises to be very clear and informative. I honestly can't say enough good things about my experience. I left with a new skill set and will not hesitate to sign up for the next course.

So how many of you folks out there are thinking about attending this instructional event? I think it is a great opportunity for anyone so inclined.

Would love to know about their schedule hitting Calgary or Edmonton. Not sure I'd fly out to the 'peg for it though.
    "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Bonzai