Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would you do as a reference to someone you think shouldn't own a firearm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    This. I was called for one application, but two others I've been a reference on never called. If you are truely concerned (and it sounds like you should be) then maybe call the CFO ahead of time, don't wait for them to call you.

Oh, and if he has no other options for a reference, what does that day about him??
    Exactly what I was thinking, I am going to give the CFO a call.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    If I were in the same position I would sit down with my buddy - if he was truly my friend and I wanted the best for him - and I would explain why you wouldn't be his reference and tell him under what circumstances you might reconsider. I think people should be given an opportunity to change - though we know how rare this is the case with certain personalities - and that nothing is set in stone. If your friend is young, he might change when he gets older. But you should take a firm stand and explain it in terms of how it might be bad idea for him personally, not just for society at large, so it isn't so much your judgement on him.

If your friend remains a friend, then that proves the strength of your relationship. If they go off on you then you were better off being somewhere else when they make a misstep and cause problems for them and for anyone close to them. You are not their parent so there ends your responsibility, IMO.

I know people who definitely should not have firearms and that just means that I don't trust them with that particular pastime. They might not even be the angry sort, just demonstrably unsafe or careless with laws. If any of them came to me hopefully the conversation I have with them would give them pause to reevaluate their choice.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redpocket View Post
    My friend
    Friend and "I wouldn't be a reference" are mutually exclusive. Get you act together.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

If you're his reference, wait for the call then answer the questions. That's it.
    Not everything in life needs drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Juster View Post
    Friend and "I wouldn't be a reference" are mutually exclusive. Get you act together.
    There are "Friends" and friends you know shouldn't do certain things for example you wouldn't hand over your friends car keys if you knew he was to drunk to drive?
    This is the same scenario because I know a lot about him which you don't and for legal matters and such is why I am not listing other traits.
    The same thing goes when I say "Sketchy" people who frequent his house, I don't mean some guy that doesn't shave or a person that looks weird.
    This friend which I am referring to has good traits and bad and unfortunately his bad traits don't coincide with being a responsible gun owner.
    Some of you are making it out like I am over reacting but like I said if you met this guy your thoughts would change.

For example if you had a friend that had a airgun and was telling you how he shoots birds, raccoons and skunks with his airgun, left his airgun lying around everywhere loaded with safety off while he is drunk and passed out on the couch. Would you still think its a good idea for him to own a firearm?

Like others have stated if I don't say anything and the CFO doesn't call me and he gets his license what then?

I didn't want to write a novel but if you read some of my posts I do indeed say that I did have a chat with him. "when I asked him what he would do if someone stole his firearms and an incident with said firearm was involved, He said "I don't care I would just buy insurance for gun". My other friend then asked him "so you don't care if some innocent person got shot with you're firearm?" and his reply was "Nope"."
    That was only a portion of the conversation I had with him, My other friends and I who've also spoke with him are all in a mutual agreement that he shouldn't have firearms because of his disregard for safety.

One of my friends who was in the Canadian army had a convo with him about proper firearm storage and about the company he has at his house and what if an incident would occur.
    His reply was "This guy so f***ing stupid idiot" to my military friend also a lot of conversations we have with him he shows a lot of ignorance.

you told him youd be his reference. why are you even posting here? should have just said no

if you want to take back ur consent to be used as a reference go talk to him

With that logic people whom are unsuitable to own firearms (even though No criminal record) can all easily get firearms as long as they have references? Whom can be paid or just say nice things but not truthful?
    So references cannot speak the truth even if it negates the process? Why bother having references anyways in this matter if everyone is just going say something good? Like I said if this was a job reference or something its a totally different story.
    If some of you think letting a person have firearms "just because they are your friend" I have nothing else to say. He asked me to be a reference I didn't go to him, I said yes to being a reference to prevent any future mishaps. Like I said me and another group of friends came into an agreement that he is not responsible and disregards the law.

I have nothing else to say. Thanks for all the inputs but some of u are not getting the hints when I say I don't want to elaborate on said company he keeps.
    Good Day

^ I hear you, it is an awkward situation and I don't envy it. We probably all have "a friend of a friend" or " a family member" who probably shouldn't own firearms... doesn't even mean they are "criminals" or "bad ppl" but perhaps careless, unsafe, depression issues, or maybe drink too much etc... and maybe firearms are not the best hobby for them to get into at this moment... perhaps in a year or ten years it would be fine.

I honestly don't know what I would do if someone asked me to be their reference if I had reservations about them owning firearms. I guess I would try and talk with them about it and see if I could come to a better conclusion. You did try and talk about it with him and he didn't give you great answers. As you said "... he is not responsible and disregards the law..."

At this point I would wait for the CFO to call and answer honestly as possible, perhaps without burning your friend too badly. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    ^ I hear you, it is an awkward situation and I don't envy it. We probably all have "a friend of a friend" or " a family member" who probably shouldn't own firearms... doesn't even mean they are "criminals" or "bad ppl" but perhaps careless, unsafe, depression issues, or maybe drink too much etc... and maybe firearms are not the best hobby for them to get into at this moment... perhaps in a year or ten years it would be fine.

I honestly don't know what I would do if someone asked me to be their reference if I had reservations about them owning firearms. I guess I would try and talk with them about it and see if I could come to a better conclusion. You did try and talk about it with him and he didn't give you great answers. As you said "... he is not responsible and disregards the law..."

At this point I would wait for the CFO to call and answer honestly as possible, perhaps without burning your friend too badly. Good luck.
    Thanks for the input I am just going to wait for the call from the CFO

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast