Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would you do as a reference to someone you think shouldn't own a firearm ?

What would you do as a reference to someone you think shouldn't own a firearm ?

Hello everyone,
    My friend has put me as a reference after completion of his Pal. The problem here is I really don't think he suitable to own any firearms. I am not necessarily saying he is a violent or an angry individual, but he does not respect the Canadian laws or culture. His home is frequented by "sketchy" people and my friend has a boastful/show off personality where he likes to post photos of him holding other peoples guns and posting it on facebook. For me he is just promoting himself to get his firearms stolen, and when I asked him what he would do if someone stole his firearms and an incident with said firearm was involved, He said "I don't care I would just buy insurance for gun". My other friend then asked him "so you don't care if some innocent person got shot with you're firearm?" and his reply was "Nope".
    I know some people will say to me "he is your friend you can't say that about him as a reference". There was a time a when my friend and I went to a mall and another car arrived at an empty space roughly at the same time. The other driver was an old lady and I made hand gestures to let her take the spot. My friend opened the window and started yelling and swearing at this lady with no respect whatsoever telling her to "go blank urself, u stupid *itch mudaf*8**r.(*Note my niece was also in the car). I saw the rage he had other occasions as well.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by redpocket; 08-02-2016 at 10:55 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer colinjw's Avatar
    Some people should not own guns. Your friend sounds like one of them.
    IMO it is your responsibility to put down exactly how you feel about this friend and
    his attitudes. Be truthful.

Thanks Colin,
    I am not familiar with the reference process and questions they will ask, but I will do the right thing. I already have both Pal & Rpal so I feel I should be responsible for my own actions but others as well.

Sounds like he could make us all look bad. Do the right thing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cereal83's Avatar
    I dunno, you sound too judgmental. I would decline to be a reference if called and also let him know why. I don't think pictures with guns on FB is a bad thing. I also don't think cussing people out is a bad thing either and that a person shouldn't be able to own guns because of it. Lots of angry people out there who own guns.

if somebody stole my guns, insurance would cover it as it would for most people on the forms. I don't advertise to the public that I have guns but FB is not public imo.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

BANNED
    If you do not feel comfortable providing a reference ; then you should not have told your friend that you would .It is not ethical to agree to provide a reference , then throw the person under the bus....

Sound advice given. That is all.
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

Hey Templar knight
    I agree it is unethical, but the conversation I had with him was after the fact.
    I should have been more specific but my friend doesn't have many close friends if any at all. What if he had someone else as a reference (Which is unlikely) and got his pal and something was to happen?
    I am in health care and I take other peoples lives seriously and couldn't live with myself if something were to happen.
    As stated in my post, his house is frequented by sketchy individuals who I myself personality would never let step foot on my front door let alone house.

Quote Originally Posted by cereal83 View Post
    I dunno, you sound too judgmental.
    A personal or professional reference is just for that........your judgement of someone based on your knowledge and experience with that person.

I know lots of people who shouldn't be within 20 miles of any firearm. If you feel he'd be a danger to someone, than it is your civic duty as a reference to say so.
    You are either trained or untrained, and you
    will always fall to the level of your training.

I am not a judgemental person at all . I just stated facts which I thought were appropriate to post on a website so I obviously didn't put every detail pertaining to this friend for many reasons. I get where you are coming from but saying cussing people,posting gun photos on facebook is not a bad thing is subjective. For my friends respect of privacy is why I have not listed other worst things I've seen him done which I think was wrong and a disregard for human life.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast