Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What would you do as a reference to someone you think shouldn't own a firearm ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    The "if it saves on life" cliche is more aptly aimed at broadly applied laws that don't accomplish what they are supposed to accomplish. The whole concentrating on "assault weapons" while the vast majority of murders are not from scary guns.

But in the Fabrikant case, which I believe bross is referring to, people knew that guy was unstable and making threats. I assure you, if I had been one of those people I would have cared very much if something could have been done and "saving one life" by an action would have been very appropriate!
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

You need better quality friends. As they say birds of a feather fly together. Maybe you shouldn't have guns either. I don't really mean that as I don't know you, but your judgement seems questionable at best. If I had a "friend" like that I would ditch him.

I apologize if I have offended anyone here, it just seems as if the discussion is more about "my judgement of him" and so fourth straying away from the subject matter.
    There are friends and close friends and friends you may not like but nonetheless a "friend". I cannot call him an acquaintance, enemy or anything like that so I called him a friend.
    I just wanted to come on this site and get some opinions on what I should do because I have never been a reference for someone obtaining a firearm before.
    I honestly felt not all but some were more focused on what my judgements on someone were in terms of severity instead of the info I provided.
    I know I could have just said no to be his reference, but I had concerns if I said no and he found someone else that was not willing to speak the truth.

All in all I would like to thank everyone for their input and I apologize if my words came out in a way that offended anyone.
    Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    Is it for an RPAL? They will 100% call you if it is for an RPAL. If it is just a regular PAL it seems more like 50% as it seems they may only call one reference sometimes.
    Not true. First time PAL/RPAL applicant. I
    When I called them, I was told I didn't need to have an interview and they only needed to speak to ONE of my references. Licence issued on 28th day after them receiving application. So he may not even get a call. They might call the other reference first and then not call him if they have no cause for concern from the first reference.

For the original poster, if I was in your situation I would definitely be calling them to share my concerns. I would not be able to live with myself if something happened down the road and I could have potentially prevented it.

You already agreed to be a reference so just do it.
    Just, tell the interviewer exactly how you feel and let them decide. They will probably want to interview him and will hopefully learn how much of an idiot he is.

If I were in that situation, I would feel uncomfortable telling him that I changed my mind, based on your assessment of his personality. You mentioned that he doesn't respect our laws and culture. If that is the case, well, too bad for him. He should have chosen his references "wisely."

Well how did it go? I am a little shocked ppl are saying they dont call the references... seems odd to me...

redpocket, If you are for real, do you really need any advice on this?
    CPC, NFA & NRA Member.

Just answer the questions truthfully, snd let the CFC decide

Just say no.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456