Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 818202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals: the Holy Grail of Mosin Nagants !!! Finnish M39 Rifles in 7.62x54R

Close to my Friends, Closer to my Enemies
    Had a chance to strip down my 1944 VKT which I believe has been refurbed.

It appears to be a new barrel as the bluing is still showing inside the bore. Rifling and crown is sharp and well defined with bore measuring .310
    Post war stock with no markings, back of butt has reinforced splicing, shims front and back under the action, bolt restamped to match receiver, double pinned trigger and HV magazine.

Bolt was difficult to remove and strip. Found out the firing pin was badly bent. After straightening the pin all was good and the bolt is very smooth in the action as it should be.

The one thing I found odd was that the rear sight leaf doesn't have the 1.5 [150] Meter stamped setting. It only comes down to 2 [200] Meter. It might have missed stamping because all the meter lines measure the same distance and do not coincide with the older M28/30 leaf.

The receiver has no markings except a very small circled D on the tang bottom and small 0 on tang top. I can't find any reference to that.

Overall, the metal is excellent shape with no bluing wear and the stock has some minor handling dings.
    I'll post pics later.
    Last edited by EHG; 08-12-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    “Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.” - Aristotle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EHG View Post
    Had a chance to strip down my 1944 VKT which I believe has been refurbed.

It appears to be a new barrel as the bluing is still showing inside the bore. Rifling and crown is sharp and well defined with bore measuring .310
    Post war stock with no markings, back of butt has reinforced splicing, shims front and back under the action, bolt restamped to match receiver, double pinned trigger and HV magazine.

Bolt was difficult to remove and strip. Found out the firing pin was badly bent. After straightening the pin all was good and the bolt is very smooth in the action as it should be.

The one thing I found odd was that the rear sight leaf doesn't have the 1.5 [150] Meter stamped setting. It only comes down to 2 [200] Meter. It might have missed stamping because all the meter lines measure the same distance and do not coincide with the older M28/30 leaf.

The receiver has no markings except a very small circled D on the tang bottom and small 0 on tang top. I can't find any reference to that.

Overall, the metal is excellent shape with no bluing wear and the stock has some minor handling dings.
    I'll post pics later.
    You'll have to post pics, but it sounds to me like an M28/30 leaf installed on an M39 base. Not sure what you mean, but they are supposed to be identical except for the 1.5 setting.

Post a pic of your tang. It sounds to me like it's either Remington or Chatellerault. Does it have an old-pattern grease hole on the underside of the front of the receiver that you can see barrel threads through? These are found on mont 1890's receivers.

Here is a pic of a grease hole wot the plug screw still present:

Also, check the side of the rear tang. If it's a Chatellerault receiver, it should have a marking there like this:

or this:

All the french inspection stamps have a similar look and feel to them.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Harry Callahan's Avatar
    You're very knowledgable Ron. I'll strip my sneaks and B barrel naked later this upcoming week and will probably ask you a thing or two.

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein, Observer, Jan. 15, 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    Some gents are real buff in knowledge, i am impress... JP.

CGN Regular
    If you haven't drank the kool aid yet, chugalug! Thanks for making this happen tradex.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BOMB View Post
    If you haven't drank the kool aid yet, chugalug! Thanks for making this happen tradex.

Broken link?

Close to my Friends, Closer to my Enemies
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    You'll have to post pics, but it sounds to me like an M28/30 leaf installed on an M39 base. Not sure what you mean, but they are supposed to be identical except for the 1.5 setting.

Post a pic of your tang. It sounds to me like it's either Remington or Chatellerault. Does it have an old-pattern grease hole on the underside of the front of the receiver that you can see barrel threads through? These are found on mont 1890's receivers.

Also, check the side of the rear tang. If it's a Chatellerault receiver, it should have a marking there like this:

or this:

All the french inspection stamps have a similar look and feel to them.
    OK, there is no stamp on the bottom of the tang, but there is on the sides. There is no grease hole.

Side

Bottom of receiver

And the rear sight.

Last edited by EHG; 08-13-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    “Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.” - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by D-BOMB View Post

Gorgeous stockset!
    Collector of old junk

Quote Originally Posted by EHG View Post
    OK, there is no stamp on the bottom of the tang, but there is on the sides. There is no grease hole.

Side

Bottom of receiver

And the rear sight.

Congrats, you have a post-1893 Chatellerault receiver, likely from around 1894. There was a short period between wen they eliminated the grease hole and some the in 1895 when Chatellerault started putting the dates on the tang.
    Last edited by Claven2; 08-13-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormald1995 View Post
    Gorgeous stockset!
    Can you even see that? The link looks like a google storage location, but I can't see anything on a new mac laptop running the latest Safari.