Thread: 7.62x39

7.62x39

I saw somewhere that there are 7.62 x 39 mags that hold 10 rounds? I am curious how this is possible?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MirandaV View Post
    I saw somewhere that there are 7.62 x 39 mags that hold 10 rounds? I am curious how this is possible?
    Yes there is. There are pistol magazines that also fit non restricted firearms or a firearm can be modified to fit a pistol mag. The round designation stays with the magazine despite it may fit something other than a pistol. XCR pistol mags is what I use in my Vz 58 in 7.62. There are also AR pistols as well. Glock mags also fit certain pistol carbines ones that are non-restricted. Do some research you will find lots.

CGN frequent flyer
    Hi Miranda,

You will see that the magazines are limited to the capacity for which firearm they were designed for. The 10 round pistol mags that hold 7.62x39 are short and stubby as would be appropriate for a pistol. They aren't the super long "ak-47" style mags initially designed for 30 round and then pinned to hold legal capacity. The pistol mags do not have a pin but instead an internal block, making them difficult to modify to hold a prohibited capacity. The pistols that use this capacity are readily available to Canadians that hold a valid rpal and appropriate other qualifications in their province of residency.

This isn't meant to sound patronizing but with all the issues with the Ruger 10/22 magazines I feel we in the firearms community need to use proper verbiage to describe firearms magazine capacity.
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by armilaria View Post
    The round designation stays with the magazine despite it may fit something other than a pistol.
    I get that, but i thought it was "originally" intended for. I assume rifles predate the pistols. With the 10/22 stuff, I thought I'd ask you folks about it before making any other assumptions. I get that glock mags fit some carbines, and such, it's just this one that had me wondering as 7.62x39 isnt generally considered a pistol calibre like the .40 cal glock mag that will work in a .40 carbine. Oh and you ARE my research :P