Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my 1911 ?

What's wrong with my 1911 ?

[IMG]/Users/DougTait/Desktop/20160802_204215_resized.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]/Users/DougTait/Desktop/20160802_204200_resized.jpg[/IMG]
    /Users/DougTait/Desktop/20160802_204312_resized.jpg

Need some help, guys. Took one of my 1911's (a recent acquisition) to the range and it started spitting out dented cases - as seen in photos. The gun is a Colt MkIV, Series 80, Combat Commander. The ammo I was using was, a few mags of factory JHP and a few mags each, of plated TC (210 grn) and plated RN (230 grn) - the TC and RN were re-loads, moderately hot, but not max. There were no other issues with the gun - no FTF, FTE - other than the dented cases, it performed flawlessly. I tried another 1911 (Gov.) that I had also brought with me - ran all the same ammo through it - no dents.
    Visual inspection of both guns, tells me nothing - they both look like (I think) they should.
    Any of you guys have this happen, or know what is screwing up in the Combat Cmdr, to cause this ?
    Thanks for any help.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dinsdale's Avatar
    Ejection port not lowered and flared?

You need to change your picture links and upload iamges to an online host like Photobucket. You are pointing to your own desktop now.
    Director and IPSC Rep for Smiths Falls Fish and Game Club - www.sffgc.org
    IPSC Ontario - http://www.ipsc-ont.org/index.htm

slow network, dupe post

You'll need to figure out how to upload pics and post them. Those links are to your computer, which we can't see.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Maybe the extractor could use a tweak? Or a longer ejector.
    The cases are getting dented by the side of the ejection port so tuning the gun to throw the empties free and clear is your goal, though some contact is inevitable.
    Couple million posts online about dented 1911 cases I'd bet.......
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.
    So far as posting photos - I've read through "Wally's" tutorial on posting photos and I've gotten as far as getting them into "Photobucket". I have tried numerous times - easily spent more than an hour at it - trying to get the gosh-darn, scum-suckin', low-life, bag-bitin' pictures, onto this forum. I am obviously missing the required smarts, to figure this one out. I asked my daughter to take a stab at it - she didn't have any more luck than me. If someone has a relatively simple, straight-forward way, that a stupid person can post photos on here - I'd be real happy to learn it.

Go to tinypic . com
    Should be fairly easy to do from there. Upload your picture, verify that you are human, copy the img link in the yellow bar that says it's for forums and message boards. Paste link here.

CGN Regular
    Nothing is "wrong" with your pistol. What is happening is that as the slide comes back the extractor pulls the case from the chamber and then as it continues rearward the ejector strikes the case and the case pivots on the extractor and leaves through the ejection port. What is happening is that the case is striking the lower edge of the ejection port on its way out of the gun and getting dented. There is nothing wrong with this happening, my Colt 1911 has been doing so for more than 30 years. My Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 has never done it. But I think the Remington has a lowered ejection port.

Smcx - thank you for that. I will try it out and see if I have any better luck with it.

GLS1956 - I suppose you are correct, that nothing is "wrong" with this pistol - but, it's the only 1911 that I have, that does this and it bugs me. Thank you for the analysis - that certainly makes sense - the case has to be whacking something. Can-down mentioned extractor - I'll try swapping out, from a couple of different 1911's and see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks again, Gents.

If I recall correctly, this is part of the reason they lower and flare ejection ports on 1911's.
    I never worry about the dent on my Colt Lighweight Commander and run the brass through the sizer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast