Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with my 1911 ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fire@will View Post
    Smcx - thank you for that. I will try it out and see if I have any better luck with it.

GLS1956 - I suppose you are correct, that nothing is "wrong" with this pistol - but, it's the only 1911 that I have, that does this and it bugs me. Thank you for the analysis - that certainly makes sense - the case has to be whacking something. Can-down mentioned extractor - I'll try swapping out, from a couple of different 1911's and see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks again, Gents.

"Tweak" as in bend the extractor if needed.... not replace. The ejector is the other part of the equation that you could look at.
    Get on youtube and watch a couple videos about extractor tension, and compare it to yours..... might help might not.
    While your there (youtube) see if you can find some videos on guys tweaking their guns to deal with severely dented cases.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Regular
    Hey, you said it was a recent acquisition. Do you mean it's brand new?????

If it's brand new, I highly suggest you do a field strip and use some CLP to clean it up, and then apply some gun oil to all the critical parts again and go back to the range and try shooting it again.

I had some issues with my new Colt Competition 1911 9mm. Thing was stove-piping and jamming. I field stripped it and re-oiled it and took it out with a buddy today at the range. We must have shot 600 rounds through it. Not one jam, and no other issues.

Thanks for the suggestions, Can-down - will definitely have a close look at my extractor - and check out those youtube videos.

It isn't a new gun, Challenger2010 - it's a "previously loved" one. It was stripped, cleaned, inspected and lubricated by me, prior to me running ammo through it - as are all my guns, new or used. Thanks for the tip, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12