Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What hearing protection are you guys using?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Peltor Tactical.

They fit under a helmet and as the wise Gunnnut said:

The end is near, wear a helmet.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

Wearing the electric is a weird experience when you leave them on and walk on grass, gravel or even cement. You hear everything including how bad your cardio is LOL

I did a bit of research and I ended up going with the Surefire EP7s.

http://www.surefire.com/ep7-sonic-defenders-ultra.html

28dB protection, really comfortable because of the memory foam, and they have customizable sizes for fit. They're perfect for shooting outdoors but for an indoor range I'd still double up with ear muff-style ear protection.

EDIT: One thing I noticed in my research was that the electronic ear protection actually doesn't have better protection ratings than the non-electronic. If anything, a lot of the time even good brands like 3M Peltor actually had worse ratings than non-electronic. I'm not saying to not buy electronic ear protection but if you go that route, you might still want to consider ear plugs for indoor ranges or shooting with brakes. From what I can tell, the extra $$$ you're spending is for the hearing enhancement, not extra hearing protection (which could actually be worth it if you're hunting).

Electronic doesn't give more protection, it gives you the ability to hear while providing "equal" protection to passive.

And while wearing electronic you can still double plug.

As long as you're happy it's all good.

There are some pretty high NRR electronic earmuffs out there but they are not slim profile like the popular ones.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Just got some Howard Leight electroninc muffs for my wife and I, first impressions are real nice. Same NRR as my reg ear pro but the low noise amplification is perfect.

Every form of hearing protection has a NRR or Noise Reduction Rating. As in Peltor H7A being 27NRR and the H10a is something like 30 or 31. Each time you go up in rating number its a factor of 10 not 1. I use non disposable earplugs for shooting all the time because I can lay on the comb comfortably and the muff cups dont ride up. I use muffs when I am doing Range Officer Duty as there are a few magnum lovers in the crowd. At times if there is a real big cannon with a short barrel I may double up just to be safe. You dont get hearing back you lose. I have sold most of the brands of earmuffs over the years but the most favorite brand for comfort and protection is the Peltor line, almost always the H7a. Non disposable earplugs can be had for the same NRR as muffs and I suggest you get the corded type. You can talk to someone when the range goes safe by pulling one out and the cord keeps it off the floor. They usually come with a small plastic case that goes in a pocket or range bag nicely. Usually sell for about $3.
    The older I get the more I find that common sense is not so common after all. (Mark Twain)
    Member Mission Rod and Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Regular ear muffs AND ear plugs @ the same time.

I find either/or is not enough.

Cheers
    Jay
    I do the same thing. Don't need top of the line for either set when you go this route , which can save you some cash

Good old fashion plugs on a string.
    "In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

CGN Regular
    I've been using those foam disposable ear plugs you buy in a box of 100. I find when I stuff them in, the foam fills my ear-canal out really well and I have no problems. I believe they are rated for NNR 33 or something like that.

Best part, they come sanitized in a sealed plastic pouch. After I use them, I toss them. Next time I go out, I get a new fresh set. No cross contamination, no ear infections, and no hearing loss experienced using them.

Only downside, they work so well, I catch myself yelling a lot on the range when talking to someone. LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast