Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What hearing protection are you guys using?

What hearing protection are you guys using?

Not looking for anything too expensive, probably under 50, would prefer non-electronic so no messing with batteries. Just as long as they seal and protect my ears.

Electric have pretty much the same protection of passive when they are off. Just handy as hell when you want to talk or listen to sounds in the environment. I bought Howard Leight off amazon for $87 and I will never go back.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cereal83's Avatar
    Sure with Howard Leight you can hear when people talk but it's not nearly enough protection for even a rifle. When I do use mine, it sounds like they are shooting beside my head if people are sighting in a rifle in the pistol area.

I'd recommend something that is 32 NRR (noise reduction rating) The Howard's are only 18 NRR or 22 which is not very much at all. I also have cheap tasco passive muffs and they are amazing. Even having somebody shooting magnum calibers beside me is no problem and it's only 28NRR so 32 NRR would be even better. I'd search Amazon and read the descriptions.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Regular ear muffs AND ear plugs @ the same time.

I find either/or is not enough.

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

CGN frequent flyer Sherlock Gnomes's Avatar
    Peltor is the brand I use. Works well.
    Real men use peep sights

Quote Originally Posted by cereal83 View Post
    Sure with Howard Leight you can hear when people talk but it's not nearly enough protection for even a rifle. When I do use mine, it sounds like they are shooting beside my head if people are sighting in a rifle in the pistol area.

I'd recommend something that is 32 NRR (noise reduction rating) The Howard's are only 18 NRR or 22 which is not very much at all. I also have cheap tasco passive muffs and they are amazing. Even having somebody shooting magnum calibers beside me is no problem and it's only 28NRR so 32 NRR would be even better. I'd search Amazon and read the descriptions.
    The ones I have R-01902's are 30NRR and I can shot anything from 45/70 to 12 gauge with a 12 inch barrel without anything being loud at all.

CGN Regular
    I use walkers electronic muffs. They're okay but I wouldn't recommend them for anything high caliber

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cereal83's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeducAb View Post
    The ones I have R-01902's are 30NRR and I can shot anything from 45/70 to 12 gauge with a 12 inch barrel without anything being loud at all.
    Oh you must have the really thick ones? I have the thin ones. I should have gone with the thick ones for $20-30 more.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

They are a god send

I got the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff from Amazon. Slim design so they don't get in the way of the rifle stock, easy to hear RO commands and cut the noise from anything around to very tolerable levels. Friends have the same ones, and everybody is happy happy. They also have an earphone plug, so when I'm alone I can pipe in some AC/DC for ambience. )

If you watch Amazon, you can sometimes pick them up for $50-ish, the price seems to vary a lot.
    "If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you can better serve your country by living somewhere else." -Stompin Tom Connors

Hard times create strong men; Strong men create good times; Good times create weak men; Weak men create hard times. Steady up...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast