Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load Development For 308 modern Hunters

Load Development For 308 modern Hunters

I know for some guys sharing load development is like asking them who they are voting for but for those who dont mind sharing I'd really love hearing what you're using (powder, projectile and primer)

I've read in the other thread that guys are having luck with 168 grain projectiles but I'd love to see some records and and pics of results

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I do not know anything about your rifle like barrel twist, purpose as in for hunting or target work maybe both .
    The 308 is an excellent cartridge to work with and you cannot go too far wrong with starting out with either Varget powder or RL15.
    I prefer Fed. 210 Match primers for my 308s, Lapua brass.
    Every rifle is different so I'll not detail load numbers but check out Google and you should arrive at some good starting info.
    Hope this helps..
    Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    I do not know anything about your rifle like barrel twist, purpose as in for hunting or target work maybe both .
    The 308 is an excellent cartridge to work with and you cannot go too far wrong with starting out with either Varget powder or RL15.
    I prefer Fed. 210 Match primers for my 308s, Lapua brass.
    Every rifle is different so I'll not detail load numbers but check out Google and you should arrive at some good starting info.
    Hope this helps..
    Thanks

Yeah I'm just looking for a starting point, see what guys are using for powder etc. I have to go purchase powder for 308 as all I have is for 300wm. I understand that every rifle is different but I'm looking for a starting point of what other modern hunter 308 users are doing and I can fine tune from there

I'm currently using 168gr Hornady A-max bullets, 42.5gr of Varget and Winchester primers. I've managed a .5" 3 shot group at 100 meters with this load so far. Now I have to sit down and get a better idea how much impact barrel temp makes with my MH. The last time I was out there was a noticeable difference after firing 15 rounds in under 10 mins.

Techi - which barrel did you get? SS or Proof?

Hi guys

The gun: For comparison, I'm shooting a Modern Hunter with the following configurations: Proof Research 18.5" carbon barrel, Fortis Switch 15" handguard, SLR adjustable gas block, JP Rifle JPTRE-424 comp, Nightforce ATACR 5.-25 MOAR, American Defense Recon SL 30moa, Magpul CTR stock, Ergo deluxe grip.
    It was a long process but I broke it in slowly... !
    The Modern Hunter is not an easy rifle to shoot small groups with all day long. 1- The AR configuration (extended pistol grip and high scope mount) give a lot of leverage (torque) to POI shift. 2- Even thou it has a great AR trigger system (Timney), it's still a 4 pounds trigger, located 3" below bore axis. 3- It definitely prefers being shot of the bench rests and bags. I loose at least .4 to .5 moa when shooting of the Harris. Is this only me or have others noticed this ?

My objectives: get reasonably accuracy and better velocities at a reasonable cost.
    Semis are not bench guns so no point in spending a fortune to try to squeeze out the last .1 moa... or shoot slow loads... and to me, an important point of reloading is to save money to shoot more !

Brass: I started with a lot of 1000 FC Match once fired empties and completely reworked them (small base resized, oal trimmed to 2.010", primer pocket uniformed, flash hole uniformed) and once all equaled, weighted and selected at + or - 1 grain. I ended up with a lot of about 800 so it was worth the trouble. I'm doing around .3 moa with this lot of brass in one of my 308 bench guns so I know the brass is consistent to start with.

Primers: for good or for bad... I only have Fed 210 M primers in stock. Period.

Powder: For 308 semis, in general, I have a preference for Win 748 ball powder because it's the one powder I've found that gives slightly higher velocities and lower burning temps. To me, no point shooting slow loads specially in a semi... and we all know how heat erode barrels.
    I know it's "old school" and not the "flavor of the month" powder choice but it works for me and the good news is (dont tell the world) it's usually more readily available and at lower prices. It does vary a little from lot to lot so if you find it works for you, get a keg !

Bullets: I wanted 4 loads to do 4 things:
    1: 125 grains @ 3000 fps for varmint, 3 gun matches (reduced recoil = faster recovery times) and for the wife (she hates recoil !);
    2: 155 or 168 grains @ 2600 to 2700 for every day fun (and accurate) shooting;
    3: 190 grains @ 2600 for long range (600 y & +);
    4: 190 grains @ 1050 for reduced noise needs;

Results:
    1: I tried both the Sierra 125 TMK and the Nosler 125. Although Nosler claims a higher BC then Sierra, it isn't for long range and it's almost twice the price ! I have not yet tried the Hornady 125 GMX because it's also pricy.
    Sierra 125 grains TMK with 50 grs Win 748 = ~3000 fps = ~.85 to 1. moa average

2: Many gun writers will claim that Sierras (and others) are usually more consistent and more accurate then Hornadys... and unless you're a sponsored shooter, you already know Sierras (and others) are more expensive... Bottom line, why pay more if you can get it to do the same job ! Again, this is a semi... not a bench gun.
    After trying a whole bunch of various Berger, Hornady, Lapua and Sierra 150, 155 and 168... my 2 "keepers" are:
    Sierra 155 MK Palma with 48 grs Win 748 = ~2700 fps = ~.7-.75 moa average (this is the most consistent and accurate load)
    Hornady 168 M with 47 grs Win 748 = ~2600 fps = ~.75-.85 moa average. I get maybe 10 % more occasional flyers but at like 40 % less cost.

3: The new Nosler Accubond LR boast a phenomenal BC... but is horribly expensive and almost impossible to get. Thank god I dont shoot a semi auto that often beyond 600.
    Nosler Accubond LR 190 with 45 grs Win 748 = ~2500 fps = ~.7 moa average

4: Although I love shooting sub-sonic loads because they dont recoil or make more noise then a 22 LR... they are "reduced needs" so I only load the very best.
    Nosler Accubond LR 190 with 10.2 grs of Trail Boss = ~1050 fps = ~1.5 moa but the p.o.i. shift is about 10" at 4 o'clock at 100 y.

As always, be careful developing your own loads.

Hope this helps others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiman1 View Post
    Techi - which barrel did you get? SS or Proof?
    I've got the SS barrel.

CGN Regular
    I have not tried many different loads having foound great results running 43.5 Gr of Varget over a 210 primer in Federal caings pushing the 165gr Amx bullets.
    If I do my part .5 to .6 is achieveable.
    I agree with Practique, shooting a semi is much more difficult to achieve great results with compared to a bolt action.
    Overall I am really happy with my Hunter and can't wait for ATRS to finish up my Varmint. Hopefully Proof starts to ship barrels soon, the waiting is killing me.

I am only just starting out to reload 308...but I am using 150gr CamPro projectiles, in my own once-fired Winchester brass, with 45.5gr of Varget powder and CCI primers. I am pretty happy with it and get 1 to 2 inch groupings, roughly (never actually measured it)...it's a start. I am now learning more about trying to get that grouping smaller. It's good fun!

I have tried with the campro. You may get it a little tighter but not much. I have moved on to 168 amax. But just starting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast