Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Long term metal protection experiment follow up

Seal 1 and some Militec dropped off.
    Sometimes it is taken, sometimes it is not. But there is no bargain, for here, what is,
    is what must be

CCFR Lifetime Member, CSSA Lifetime Member
    NFA Lifetime Member, NRA Lifetime Endowment Member

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Shot View Post
    ...I wonder about the vacuum sealing product. It clearly let moisture in over the course of a winter
    That is an interesting thought, one I was thinking myself when I first read the OP. You have several of these listed as "fail", yet how do we know the product failed and not the seal on the vacuum-pack? Perhaps if you were to double or even triple-up on each sample. If you have say, three samples with RemOil and they ALL "fail", then you know for sure it's the product and not the packaging.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerakote B.C. View Post
    I would be interested in coating one of the metal strips in Cerakote. I am interested in how it would fare in a non lab test. I can provide my contact info if you are willing to send me a strip. I will pay for the shipping if you like.
    +1.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

CGN Regular
    Corrosion X, I have a gallon of it, if you want me to mail you a bit of it in a vacuum bag I can, pm me address if interested.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    It's amazing how much time going back to school takes. But now that this session is almost done, time to get this project back on track.

Today, I cleaned and prepped 20 pieces of metal using the same procedure as before with one exception.

First they were soaked in Evaporust for about 6 hours to remove any existing corrosion, then buffed with a medium surface conditioning disc and washed with non-chlorinated parts cleaner.

One piece was scrapped due to too many markings from prior corrosion, so 19 pieces will be used. And they are currently sealed in a zip-lock freezer bag with a big silica desiccant pack while I get the coating list together.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greglc View Post
    Corrosion X, I have a gallon of it, if you want me to mail you a bit of it in a vacuum bag I can, pm me address if interested.
    If you're still into this, please send some to the Calgary pick up address for Ammosupply.ca
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybarry View Post
    It's amazing how much time going back to school takes. But now that this session is almost done, time to get this project back on track.

Today, I cleaned and prepped 20 pieces of metal using the same procedure as before with one exception.

First they were soaked in Evaporust for about 6 hours to remove any existing corrosion, then buffed with a medium surface conditioning disc and washed with non-chlorinated parts cleaner.

One piece was scrapped due to too many markings from prior corrosion, so 19 pieces will be used. And they are currently sealed in a zip-lock freezer bag with a big silica desiccant pack while I get the coating list together.
    Thanks for the uplate and for doing this. Very interested in the results. Especially frog lube vs seal 1

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    tagged

Can you try regular drug store mineral oil, I use just USP Heavy or Medium Mineral Oil, Pharmasave brand.. I always use it, because my dad always did...for knives, guns, stock, etc. I've read conflicting results, but here in NS with such high humidity all the time, it's sure great to see experiments like this! I will definitely look at some KleenFlo Enginestore next trip to crappy tire, and the vac unit, saw it on the show elementary last year, been meaning to look one up.
    Sux about the weather out there. Vacation homes in NS are pretty cheap! Lots of love for our oil, beef and army country brothers and sisters from the east coast :-)
    God Bless!

Thanks for the testing. You tried Weapon Shield CLP?