Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recycled Berdan brass

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    I never had any luck holding the case and rod in one hand and bonking it with the other hand.
    I found the case and the rod go different directions...
    I do have complete success by thumping the water filled case up into the sizing die in the press.
    NOTE! THE CASE MUST BE RESIZED FIRST, AND THE DECAPPING PIN MUST NOT BE IN THE EXPANDER BALL STEM.

You must remove the decapping pin for Berdan anyway, and the cases must be pre-resized before slamming them into the sizing die to hydraulically decap them.
    Otherwise, you WILL have a stuck case.

Thanks Tootall, I'll give that a try.

Any updates on this?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Who cares. All you need is a steel rod that fits tightly in the neck, and some water. Fill case with water, insert rod into top of case, wack with a hammer, and watch the hydraulic action deprime your case.
    Air compressor, spray nozzle and a small butyl rubber stopper = quicker and less mess.

BANNED
    If I could get a source on the small, 7.62x25 and large, higher power (read: 7.5x55, 303, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r) Berdan primers, I'd definitely be interested in this.
    The ones we can get now are for 7.62x39, or so my reading tells me.
    Most of us reload for accuracy/cost over plinking, and my feeling is that all the Berdan primed surplus is getting scarce until things change in the Russia/Ukraine situation.
    (and my understanding is that when the GP11 supply we have now dries up, that's it).

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Hhutch View Post
    Air compressor, spray nozzle and a small butyl rubber stopper = quicker and less mess.
    What psi do you need for this?
    I find the water method messy and ineffective if the primer has lacquer/sealer on it. At least with the hirtenberger stuff, which is way too nice a brass to be throwing away.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplinker View Post
    What psi do you need for this?
    I find the water method messy and ineffective if the primer has lacquer/sealer on it. At least with the hirtenberger stuff, which is way too nice a brass to be throwing away.
    Maybe a preheat would help? Not sure if it even works - just an idea that's been floating in my head that I haven't had a chance to test yet.

BANNED
    Preheat works sometimes, which just adds another level of pita. But in my mind worth it, if you can reuse it, haven't seen much better brass for the m305 as far as longevity goes.

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    Any updates on this?
    We are setting this up next week.

CGN frequent flyer Prairie Plinker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplinker View Post
    (and my understanding is that when the GP11 supply we have now dries up, that's it).
    Nope, they have just started or are about to start a run of GP11. There was thread on it just a few days ago. So hopefully no worries about the GP11 drying up anytime soon.

Tagged for interest.....and possibly some 7.62x54r, 8x57.

I'd be interested in .308/7.62x51.
    I live within GVRD.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123