Thread: Pistol Calibre Carbines

Pistol Calibre Carbines

I was wondering about the if there is a difference in performance with a rifle vs a pistol in the same caliber. From what I read on here, shortening a rifle that uses a rifle caliber will lower performance quite a lot in some cases, due to unburned powder, etc. Would a rifle using a pistol caliber enhance performance? Or would it not because there's not much powder left to burn as it is made for the shorter barrel of a pistol?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    It depends on the cartridge.

Magnum cartridges like the .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and the .454 Casull are MUCH faster from 16-20" carbine barrels than from a revolver with its cylinder /barrel gap. So much so that you should choose a sturdy bullet for use in the carbine due to its much higher velocities. You don't want the bullet to come apart before you get sufficient penetration.

Last edited by geologist; 08-13-2016 at 04:40 AM.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

Just as Geologist said. Shooting the bullet out of a 18" barrel gives the expanding gases more time to act on it, and you end up with 200-500 feet per second extra muzzle velocity compared with a 5" barrel (depends a lot on the caliber used!). There's a good site where this was documented, called Ballistics By The Inch: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

There's a practical limit where the bullet actually begins to slow down in a long barrel, usually around 17" to 18", but that's still faster than what we would get out of a 5-6" barrel.

So something like a Mares leg in a magnum?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jparent's Avatar
    I believe the standard semi auto calibers (9mm, 40, 45) max out and would be perfect with a 12" barrel. Of course with our silly laws, we are stuck with 18+ and slower velocities.

The magnums, 357, 44, etc and 10mm benefit greatly from a longer 16"-18" barrel.
    Looking down the barrel, of 1984...
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Foxtrot Oscar.
    It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    There is no question that adding barrel length will increase velocity, although at a point it becomes diminishing returns, especially with small cases such as you will find in a pistol cartridge.

I've used a few pistol carbines, and you can see an improvement- For instance, a hot loaded Colt .45 in a 16" barrel will give you the same velocities as a .454 in a 6-8" barrel. And while I have never bothered to chrono it, a 9mm in a Beretta carbine will definitely increase velocity. I have gauged this in a very unscientific manner- When I hit a gong at 100m with a 9mm from a pistol, the steel gong makes a "tink" and barely moves. Shooting it with a Beretta carbine, and it starts swinging. Not compared to hitting it with a .223 or 7.62, but there is a clear difference.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!