Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norinco Valmet Clone?

Norinco did made a copy of the Valmet Hunter. I have one....
    It is prohibited period. .....

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sky52 View Post
    A valmet hunter is a 4000$ AK as opposed to $400.

Atrs hunter is a firearm that takes some AR component that is non restricted.
    Ak's are like $30 in some places...lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Same rifle, different manufacturer, one prohib one NR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../fulltext.html

64 The firearm of the design commonly known as the AK-47 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it except for the Valmet Hunter, the Valmet Hunter Auto and the Valmet M78 rifles, but including the

Because they say so.

Long story short, some time long ago the Canadian guberment armed the Inuit with Valmet Hunters and M78s in case the Ruskies came across the Bearing Sea looking for troubles. When the Firearms act came about and all AKs and their variants were prescribed as prohibited someone realized they had created 10,000 paper criminals who were in posession for firearms provided by the same Federal goverment. It was easier to make these 3 particular models NR vs trying to round them all up years after they had been bought, sold and traded freely and legally.
    I hear this story all the time but it doesn't make sense. A lot of non natives had chinese type 56's etc Lots of them legally floating around before the ban hammer came down and they were still put on the prohib list. Why would they exempt just that one type then? Natives are above the law anyway and do whatever the hell they please so I don't see how it would have made a difference in the eyes of the government. Just to save face as they allegedly handed them over to some Inuits?
    Also did they just hand out crates of Valmet M78's onto reservations off the back of a pickup to every joe shmo standing around?
    The story never made any sense and I've never seen proof of it being true.
    Does anyone have any actual insight into this?
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../fulltext.html

64 The firearm of the design commonly known as the AK-47 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it except for the Valmet Hunter, the Valmet Hunter Auto and the Valmet M78 rifles, but including the

Because they say so.

Long story short, some time long ago the Canadian guberment armed the Inuit with Valmet Hunters and M78s in case the Ruskies came across the Bearing Sea looking for troubles. When the Firearms act came about and all AKs and their variants were prescribed as prohibited someone realized they had created 10,000 paper criminals who were in posession for firearms provided by the same Federal goverment. It was easier to make these 3 particular models NR vs trying to round them all up years after they had been bought, sold and traded freely and legally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I hear this story all the time but it doesn't make sense. A lot of non natives had chinese type 56's etc Lots of them legally floating around before the ban hammer came down and they were still put on the prohib list. Why would they exempt just that one type then? Natives are above the law anyway and do whatever the hell they please so I don't see how it would have made a difference in the eyes of the government. Just to save face as they allegedly handed them over to some Inuits?
    Also did they just hand out crates of Valmet M78's onto reservations off the back of a pickup to every joe shmo standing around?
    Absolute fairy tale. Valmets were not supplied to Inuit. Period.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I am part Inuit.

And I want my friggin Valmet! (5 mags, cleaning kit, bipod, factory scope attached/mounted/boresighted)

Right effing now Turdo Junior!
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Neither have I, I'm just regurgitating what has been presented to me in the past as the reason for their NR status.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Good to know, thanks for straightening that out.

Carrying forward with this thread, do you have a legitimate answer as to why the Valmets were specifically named as exceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by cranswick View Post
    Ak's are like $30 in some places...lol
    .......and free in others.

I have a much better and fun question, why is it that a bolt action rifle, known as the McMillan M87 prohibited? Now that one is the definition of nonsense!!! A BOLT ACTION RIFLE, come on.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    I have a much beter and fun question, why is it that a bolt action rifle, known as the Macmillan tac50 prohibited? Now that one is the definition of nonsense!!!
    Because it's even more deadly than ninja throwing stars.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast