Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel To & From Range

CGN Regular

Travel To & From Range

Hi everyone. I have a question maybe some of the senior guru`s could chime in on. My Nephew & i have recently signed up at a local range. We have gone there as guests with my Brother in law which is a member there for years. Now We arent range members as of yet ,But i Spoke with the range Director that runs this facility. I Mentioned that i woas in the process of acquiring a Restricted to take to the range when we become full members. He Stated that sure you can purchase a Restricted and with the new RPAL which we just got as an upgrade from our non restricted Pal we are allowed to transport from the store it was bought to home, But you can also transport it to any range or gunsmith or show with the new RPAL as it is part of the Licence. Reason iam asking cus i also asked if i could take my firearm to the range and try it out even if iam not a full member as of yet. He stated sure as long as your brother in law is there beside you at the range while your there as i guest.
    So if i purchase a Restricted can i transport it to this range or would i have to call the CFO for an ATT to this range or any other for that matter.

You best wait until your registration for said restricted arrives before you take your restricted to any range..

CGN Regular
    Ohh yes I will wait for all paperwork to arrive, but my question was can a restricted be taken to and from ranges with this new Rpal/ ( Is it part of the licence now).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer coldshot's Avatar
    If the gun is register to you and you have the registration, and your Rpal with you. It also has to be stored properly for transportation.

CGN Regular
    So with my RPAL . Once i purchase a firearm and all the transfer and registration papers to follow come i would be able to transport to different ranges or gunsmith if i choose? does this sound correct? or do i still need to inform CFO for an ATT to transport to and from any range..

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    I would be careful in assuming that you automatically have transport conditions attached to your license electronically. For example, in Ontario, post C-42, you have to have your ownership purpose on record as target shooting (and not collector status) for you to receive transport conditions electronically attached to your license. Best best is to call your provincial CFO and give them your RPAL number and ask them to confirm that you have the transport condition to/from all approved ranges in your province, just to be sure.
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

Depending on which province you are in, you might not even be able to get the transfer of the restricted approved if you aren't a member of at least one range.

(yes I know that the law says that they aren't supposed to do that, but they do it anyway)

I know that in BC, the first 3 restricted firearms I bought after C-42 was passed, all of the transfers were put on hold and I had to prove to them THREE TIMES that I was a member at a range.

Somehow after the 3rd time, they got tired of asking for me to fax them my membership card or maybe they had enough copies to cover the holes in their wallpaper, I don't know, but they stopped asking after 3.

So, yes if you get the transfer approved and get the conditions put onto your RPAL then you are good to bring to any range in your province, etc... but that's an IF.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletec View Post
    So with my RPAL . Once i purchase a firearm and all the transfer and registration papers to follow come i would be able to transport to different ranges or gunsmith if i choose? does this sound correct? or do i still need to inform CFO for an ATT to transport to and from any range..
    If you get the conditions on your RPAL then yes you can go to whichever range or gunsmith IN YOUR PROVINCE. You still need an ATT to cross provincial boundaries.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canmic View Post
    Depending on which province you are in, you might not even be able to get the transfer of the restricted approved if you aren't a member of at least one range.

(yes I know that the law says that they aren't supposed to do that, but they do it anyway)

I know that in BC, the first 3 restricted firearms I bought after C-42 was passed, all of the transfers were put on hold and I had to prove to them THREE TIMES that I was a member at a range.

Somehow after the 3rd time, they got tired of asking for me to fax them my membership card or maybe they had enough copies to cover the holes in their wallpaper, I don't know, but they stopped asking after 3.

So, yes if you get the transfer approved and get the conditions put onto your RPAL then you are good to bring to any range in your province, etc... but that's an IF.
    iam in Ontario. I know of a few people that have had transfers approved. they picked up there firearms and took them home. now as far as permission to transport my range director says if you have a recent Rpal upgrade then as long as you have your paperwork your good to transport to and from range. But i guess ill call just to make sure. Thanks

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiletec View Post
    iam in Ontario. I know of a few people that have had transfers approved. they picked up there firearms and took them home. now as far as permission to transport my range director says if you have a recent Rpal upgrade then as long as you have your paperwork your good to transport to and from range. But i guess ill call just to make sure. Thanks
    Yes - definitely call. You can reach the Ontario CFO at the main Canadian Firearms Center number, then dial extension 7503 and you will be connected to the Ontario CFO. Have your RPAL info handy. You can tell them the name of the range that you are in the process of joining, if asked...
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast