Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning cosmoline off the rifle westrifle.com

Expired Business Member

Cleaning cosmoline off the rifle westrifle.com

Hello Everyone,

Recently we received many questions about cleaning cosmo off the rifle. Our clients want to know quest way to clean off cosmo. My personal favourite is warm water and towels. This is when I clean my rifle and I want to clean every part. Second one is going and shooting a few rounds off the rifle, the only problem is it becomes messy.
    Please post any suggestions that you have. Pictures as well

Thank you

Dishwasher.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Disassemble rifle then use a handheld steam cleaner. It will melt all the grease off every single part and every nook and cranny.

From Can Tire:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bi...1024p.html#srp

My method is to clean with g96 aerosol for light cosmoline junk or if the problem is serious WD40. All that being said I usually buy cotton cloths from a big box store ringspun or recycled and I just wipe. For the detail areas i use tooth brushes/ q tips. For hand protection I would recommend nitrile gloves. Now I am off to buy a steam cleaner.

Throw all your parts in an oven done and done , as for the stock a damp cloth and a electric clothes iron and your laughing, follow up with some linseed oil and it's quite the rifle

varsol tank works wonders for me

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fiddler's Avatar
    Remove the rifle from the stock and wrap both parts in paper towel and newspaper, then a black garbage bag and place it on a dashboard of an old car facing the sun. The cosmo will melt out in 2 days. Change paper and repeat once.

If you fire the rifle without it being clean, it will ooze all over everything.
    When all else fails, Bark like a dog !

Lot's of videos on youtube on how to clean Cosmoline off of any long term stored surplus rifle (ex. SKS, Mosin Nagant, SVT-40), Google is your friend, but from my past experience of cleaning off Cosmoline from any surplus rifle is first field strip it completely, all metal parts soaked in boiling hot water to remove the bulk of the grease and then onto 'mineral spirits'(stinky, but effective) and all soaking envolves scrubbing each part with a brush, dry all metal parts and then spray with WD40, dry again and inspect/wipe each part right down to the little nooks and cracks free of cosmoline, reassemble with attention to oiling and lubricating to the key spots, for the wood stock I use 'goo-gone' on a rag, works awesome and doesn't discolor or remove any of the finish (so far from my experience). this is a labour of love to owning a used firearm especially something collectable and with historical value/functionality, it will take a few hours and requires a sense of mechanical inclination.But If this is too much work for an individual then go buy something brand new off the shelf with a warranty. Already know of a few people who refuse to completely field strip an SKS and clean it free from Cosmoline......"it was a great price for $200, plus I figured if I left it in the hot sun it would melt it away for me"......it also slam fires a lot too"....Duuuhhhh!!!

Boiling hot water, dose a couple of times, then give the parts a hot shower rinse
    Use a hair drier to get rid the any left over water after towel drying
    Then gun oil.
    No chemicals needed other than the gun oil to prevent rush

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    Disassemble rifle.

Put in trunk.

Drive to car wash (bay style with pressure washer)

Hold parts down with foot

Pressure wash.

(Wear boots)

Bring rifle home and oil it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast