Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NP 27 initial cleaning ?

BANNED

NP 27 initial cleaning ?

How much of the gun needs to be dissassembled and cleaned before using it ?

CGN frequent flyer
    Filed strip
    Magwell cleaning
    Ffiring pin channel cleaning
    slide cleaning.

Isn't the correct answer: "completely"?

You can try to clean it by spraying solvent into the nooks and crannies and you might get away with it, but for a new gun, you want to have a fresh start, and it's a good way to get to know the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Isn't the correct answer: "completely"?

You can try to clean it by spraying solvent into the nooks and crannies and you might get away with it, but for a new gun, you want to have a fresh start, and it's a good way to get to know the gun.
    ^^^^ this, just like every gun

There's a great video on YouTube about preparing a Norinco 1911.

BANNED
    Really, down to this level ?

Should this not be done at the dealer level ?

Who buys somthing only to have to dissassemble it before use ?

I do. Standard procedure for any gun that I buy, new or used.
    I aim to misbehave

GunNutz
    strip and clean as with any firearm purchase . I bought a new 10/22 years ago that had a small amount of filings in the action.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Run a patch through the bore and commence shooting. Sometimes I only have the patience to look through the bore before shooting something new.
    After the initial shoot I'll give it the go over. This practise has always kept me safe and the guns intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    Really, down to this level ?

Should this not be done at the dealer level ?

Who buys somthing only to have to dissassemble it before use ?

Exactly to that level to ensure all the grease (or whatever they want to call it) is removed from every part. Plenty of videos online to help you along with disassembly and much easier than you would expect. Watch the whole video first to avoid any "...but first do this..." moments. Ruined a perfectly good screw driver trying to take the mag release out, only to find out that I had to depress the mag catch button a little bit for the screw to turn. Cost of Learning.

A nice big zip-lock bag and a can of Brake Cleaner (empty the can in the bag, then soak the parts one or a few at a time) and you are pretty much all set.

Reassembly is not too difficult either if you paid attention while taking things apart. A little common sense and a good look at the parts diagram and you should be able to put it all back together without video. Worst case, a video will ensure you don't reverse the order in which to install the sear assembly and trigger. I always get them wrong and have to take what I just put together off to fit the other in. (I think the trigger goes in first...)

The best firearms learning experience was with my first Norinco; I had to take it all apart. Those old "Made in 90's" G.I. models had that grease all dried up and no sane person would have ever tried running it without a complete cleaning.

Clean it well, oil it and treat it even better and it'll work like a charm. Leave that grease in and you will likely curse your laziness at the range.

DanO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast