Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NP 27 initial cleaning ?

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    Run a patch through the bore and commence shooting. Sometimes I only have the patience to look through the bore before shooting something new.
    After the initial shoot I'll give it the go over. This practise has always kept me safe and the guns intact.
    Could work on some guns not covered in gunk from one end to the other (with my CZ, Ruger and S&W; I would agree), but the Norinco ones are oiled for long storage and sea container transport.

It would go bang at least once, but I would not expect long-term reliability or safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    Really, down to this level ?

Should this not be done at the dealer level ?

Who buys somthing only to have to dissassemble it before use ?

This is the greatest part of purchasing a new firearm... Knowing you get to take it all apart to clean and inspect it! As for your picture, no that is a tad excessive. Remove just the slide and barrel and you will have access to everything else. Look into youtube videos and you'll find your answer.

Cheers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanOnymus View Post
    Could work on some guns not covered in gunk from one end to the other (with my CZ, Ruger and S&W; I would agree), but the Norinco ones are oiled for long storage and sea container transport.

It would go bang at least once, but I would not expect long-term reliability or safety.

My Norincos have only been lightly oiled, but if it were a milsurp coated in cosmoline, you'd have your work cut out for you before it was fire ready.
    My first semi, a 1911 that I field stripped and cleaned before shooting, was a Norinco. I got it to the range and prepared to fire the first round.
    I pulled the trigger, and pulled and pulled the trigger, and nothing. Darn I put the thing back together wrong, I thought. Then I pulled more, and bang.
    My conclusion was that a Norinco semi-auto has a much more trigger pull weight than the S&W Model 17 and 66, that I was used to.
    With time, and a few hundred rds.,even the Norinco smooths and lightens it's operation.

CGN frequent flyer Prairie Plinker's Avatar
    Anything that's covered in cosmoline gets torn apart and mineral spirits do their thing. Taking out every pin and individual piece is completely unnecessary for a new Norc, they are covered in oil.
    Just field strip it like you normally would, take the grips off, and clean away. I'd personally still use a solvent to get whatever is in the firing pin channel and inaccessible areas. Once cleaned, oil it up and have at it!

BANNED
    Would it get cleaned good enough if I left it assembled and put it in an ultrasonic bath

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Buy used, then all the work etc. has been done for you! Naw, cleaning/taking apart is just as intriguing/fun as taking 'er to the range!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    Would it get cleaned good enough if I left it assembled and put it in an ultrasonic bath
    An ultrasonic bath is next to useless to clean storage oil. Just field strip and clean it with cleaner, then oil it. I personnaly use remington, the black cap one for cleaning and the yellow cap for oiling, but pretty much anything made to clean guns will work just fine. It takes about 10-15 minutes and that's how you're gonna clean it when it gets dirty after a visit to the range. The 1911 is easy and fast to field strip and clean. The first time it might be a little hard to remove the bushing because the spring is very tense, but it'll get easyer after a few hundred rounds. If you've field-stripped a Ruger, a buckmark or those kind of 22lr, you're gonna laugh at how easy it is to clean a 1911. Some people can do it in less than 5 minutes.

Note that it's unnecessary to clean it every time you come back from the range. Today's ammos are non corrosive, so letting it get "dirty" with burnt powder isn't really a problem, other than the fact that it's dirty. Actually, cleaning a modern gun that's using modern ammos is harder on the gun than the round count. More "usage" comes from cleaning than from shooting in a lot of cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12