Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very Disappointed

Ibtl. I'm sure they will stop by here and present their version of events first!
    When governments are afraid of their people its called democracy......When people are afraid of their government, its called slavery.

Super Moderator
    Now we will give the business a chance to respond.

SuperJudge:

First, let me start by stating that I was not part of this transaction at all, so I am not responding from a first-person perspective. I am only stating our usual policies with regard to price matching, and advising you as to the outcome of this matter.

To begin, our store does offer price matching with any competitor who lists an item at a lower price than is listed on our website. However, there are a few caveats to that statement.

Number One: We must confirm that the item in question is the very same item being offered at both locations. This means a member of the Epps staff will contact the alternate vendor to confirm that the product/catalogue number for that item is the very same. For example, if SAIL is offering a Savage Axis rifle chambered in .308 Win at a certain price, we will not match that price for a Savage Axis rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag.

Number Two: The competitor must have that item in stock when we call to confirm pricing and availability. Any retailer can state a price on a product they do not have in stock, but change that price when the item does actually reach their inventory. For that reason, the item in question must be available at both Epps and the alternate vendor in order for us to approve the price match.

In this case, Wholesale Sports had sold out of the 7mm-08 model at the time you chose to proceed with this purchase from our store. By the statement made above, we would not usually have matched pricing on the 7mm-08 rifle we had in stock, as Wholesale was unable to provide that model to you at the offered price at that time.

As it was explained to me this morning, the offer to match pricing with Wholesale Sports on a Savage rifle in which you were interested was extended while the sale price was in effect at Wholesale Sports. For whatever reasons -- either delays on our part or on yours -- the decision to proceed with that purchase was not received from you until after the sale at Wholesale Sports had ended and the sale price was no longer valid through that vendor.

Normally, once a sale price has ended at a competitor vendor, we no longer offer to match the sale price on that item. However, our manager did contact our Savage distributor and discussed this matter with their office. In the end, Savage agreed to allow us to release the rifle to you at the price that matched the now-expired sale price offered through Wholesale Sports.

I was handed the details of this order this morning, and did process this sale to you at the lowered price as offered to match the Wholesale Sports sale price. The rifle was placed in our Shipping department this afternoon, and should be picked up for delivery to you either later today or early tomorrow morning.

Again, I was not personally involved in any part of the negotiations that were conducted prior to this sale being committed under your name, therefore I cannot respond to any of those exchanges. I can state only that the matter was finally settled in your favour, with the rifle you were originally seeking being invoiced and sent out to you at a price that matched the Wholesale Sports sale price on that item.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this or any other transaction conducted through our store, please feel free to contact me either by telephone (705.689.5333, extension 230), or by E-mail (info@ellwoodepps.com) at your convenience.
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??

Snap

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJudge View Post
    This was originally going to be a great endorsement for Ellwood Epps, but sadly that has changed. I was looking to buy my first gun so that I might finally be able to join my friends on a deer hunt this season. I had decided on either a 308 or 7mm-08 bolt-action and after looking around I found an amazing deal at wholesale sports for a rifle I wanted. Wholesale was out of the 7mm-08 models, my first choice, but did have 308 models in stock. Before settling on the back up choice I decided to see if any other stores would price match that sale price in the caliber I wanted.

So I explained my situation to Ellwood Epps, telling them I would prefer the 7mm-08, but wholesale was out of stock and wondering if they would be willing price match or if I was going to have to settle on the 308. When I asked if Ellwood Epps would be willing to price match they replied by saying they do not play these kinds of games and to just tell them what price I would be willing to pay and that we can work out some sort of deal. So I told them I wanted to pay the sale price that wholesale offered.Now fast forward 4 days later, and so far no reply from Epps and its now the final day of the sale at wholesale sports. So I figure I am going to make a trip down to wholesale and buy the 308 after work. But when I checked my e-mail that day I was very pleasantly surprised to see an e-mail from Epps saying that they would sell me the rifle for the price I wanted. I just had to send them my shipping, PAL, and credit card info and they would mail the rifle out, so I thanked them and told them I would send all the information when I got home from work. So instead of heading to wholesale sports, I head straight home and send them all the information they need and asked them about shipping plans and costs. I was in such a good mood that I even took my mother out for dinner that night.

The next day I get a reply and we chose a shipping option, they then ask for my information again, which I again give them. At this point they tell me that they were only willing to offer me that price while wholesale had their sale on. And since this is now the day after the sale, and no order was officially processed yet, they would no longer honor the price we had agreed upon. At no point did they tell me that our deal would expire in a mere 7 hours. The very first thing they told me when I asked if they would price match was that they did not play these games and to just make an offer. So I made my offer, and the offer was accepted, and then not honored. Needless to say I am very unhappy with the customer service at Epps. And to make things worse if they had just not bothered to e-mail me that day telling me that my offer was accepted, then I would have happily gone to wholesale for the 308. Now that is no longer an option either and I am back to looking for something I can afford.
    hmmmm
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    Ad mores natura recurrit damnatos, fixa et mutari nescia
    Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
    Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Quote Originally Posted by CADGunNut View Post
    Wow, hope they see this and help you out either that or a deal with the negative image.
    Let's see how they reply...
    Their reply sounds good, someone I'd like to do business with. For me however, too little too late.
    When I shop, I support the business, not a lone salesman /counterman /manager/etc. it's all or none. If staffing treats customers on this level, it's a reflection of ownership/management.

It sounds as though you got screwed over, with intention. I personally would not go back. I wouldn't support this type of practice.

Douche move, is an understatement.

If OP version is true, when OP gave them all the info on the last day of the sale, that is an implied status that the deal is now in process. Much like when doing mail in rebates, if its postmarked before the end of the promotion period, ot has to be honored even tho the mail in package may not arrive well after the deadline.

Looks like this came down to communications. Probably could have been resolved quicker by a few phone calls.

I'd be good with this retailer, particularly given the circumstances of an out-of-stock item at a competitor. They wanted to make someone happy and, hopefully, did.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer weasel1's Avatar
    I'm confused by this part. Savage dictates how much you sell a rifle for? One would have thought that you can sell anything in your store for any price you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier .45 View Post
    Normally, once a sale price has ended at a competitor vendor, we no longer offer to match the sale price on that item. However, our manager did contact our Savage distributor and discussed this matter with their office. In the end, Savage agreed to allow us to release the rifle to you at the price that matched the now-expired sale price offered through Wholesale Sports.
    "We're only immortal, for a limited time." -Rush

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Just get them to include a bag of their delicious beef jerky(over a $50 value), and you won't be disappointed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast