Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng UV-5R

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDO View Post
    Waiting on a "shipped" notice.
    You're not the only one
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Just got my shipped notice
    C.S.S.A. + C.C. F.R.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDO View Post
    Just got my shipped notice
    At 6 pm ?
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Just woke up,,,,but got it 1740 hrs my time
    C.S.S.A. + C.C. F.R.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsighter View Post
    Excellent info. Thank you.

I was under the impression that I needed to be able to do 5 words per minute in Morse code with 99% accuracy in order to get a HAM licence.
    The morse code requirement was dropped years ago. It was eliminated in most countries and has allowed the hobby to grow. While I intend to learn morse code "one day", I know if the requirement were in place I'd not have bothered myself. Too high a barrier to get started.

Order placed within an hour of CA saying they are back in stock. 3 days later and still not even shipped??

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    The morse code requirement was dropped years ago. It was eliminated in most countries and has allowed the hobby to grow. While I intend to learn morse code "one day", I know if the requirement were in place I'd not have bothered myself. Too high a barrier to get started.
    I've decided to study up for the basic exam. I ran through the online sample exam yesterday and got 61 out of 100 just based on my existing knowledge of electronics, some common sense, and some good guess work. I figure a few weeks of study and I'll be ready to get at least 70 out of 100.

Thanks again for your contribution to this thread!

CGN Regular
    Ordered 4 but there were no Antennas in stock! Crap! Any idea on next shipment or where I can get a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsighter View Post
    I've decided to study up for the basic exam. I ran through the online sample exam yesterday and got 61 out of 100 just based on my existing knowledge of electronics, some common sense, and some good guess work. I figure a few weeks of study and I'll be ready to get at least 70 out of 100.

Thanks again for your contribution to this thread!
    That's great! You can find a local examiner here: http://apc-cap.ic.gc.ca/pls/apc_anon..._amat$.startup

and hopefully a local club here: http://wp.rac.ca/clubs/

I gotta warn you though. Buying radios is almost as addicting as buying guns!

Thank you for all the info you have shared here Doug. I think I will also be looking into this for a winter project. I have been trying to learn morse code as well (I thought it would be interesting to learn even before I considered getting an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate), a but I still have quite a way to go with that. The basic learning of the code for the letters to send them (slowly) wan't so bad but trying to listen to the code and translate it to actual letters.... wow lol