Thread: Firearm purchase

Firearm purchase

Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some advice regarding purchasing some firearms.
    I'm hoping to get into shooting and hopefully some IDPA. Would you guys recommend getting a .22 for practice and save on ammo and a 9mm for IDPA?

Was looking in the range of $500 and wanted at least one of them to be a 1911.

These were the ones I was thinking,

Gsg 1911 .22 $410
    Swiss arms 1911 .22 $450

Canuck 1911 9mm $740
    Beretta 92a1 9mm $850
    Norinco 1911 9mm $358

Or would it be better to get a 9mm pistol like the norinco and a ISSC mk22 $500?

I'm also debating between silver dale or target sports membership, anyone have any experience with either? Specifically silverdale during the winter?

Thanks
    Last edited by Cyrus2121; 09-30-2016 at 05:01 PM.

I have an issc mk22 and enjoying it got the second gen and don't have too many problems found federal and cci to be the best in it. I go to silverdale for my restricteds the people there are all friendly and helpful the only thing that gets me is the drive. I shoot my non res on crownland closer to me.

CGN Regular
    I wouldn't recommend using the .22 for practice. It's muscle memory and if your competing with one calibre and practising with another your practice time is wasted. That being said .22 semi autos are really fun, I like the GSG 1911. I see a few Canucks when at IPSC matches. I'll be picking up a 1911 from seraphim armoury hopefully in a month or so

CGN Regular
    Just this side of no where on the edge of common sense, West Central Alberta
    As a generalization there is a common rule (some would say a hard and fast rule) that you PRACTICE with the firearm you intend to USE, whatever the purpose.

I don't shoot handguns at all but have listened and talked to lots that do use them. Basically the same rule as for long guns. In a professional situation, or competition, or even depending on a firearm, you need muscle memory to function flawlessly or you risk faltering, missing a step, or being slower than required.

My two cents.
    Dave
    Alberta Independence! A solid future for our children and grandcildren.

CGN Regular
    I'd go with the Canuck, I've never used it but I heard good things, and it is on my buy list for the future. And, it does look pretty!

I personally would never spend almost $500 on a .22.

Hey, I shoot IDPA and as someone already mentioned, practice with what you will compete with. IDPA has to be a 9mm minimum caliber so find a pistol and get familiar with it and shoot approx 1000 rounds through. This'll give you the experience and familiarity with the pistol. As for the 22LR choice, I personally don't practice with a 22LR, it's more for plinking and fun when I take new shooters out. I have an Advantage Arms kit for my G17. If you go the route of Glock17 with an AA 22LR conversion kit then at least your 9mm and 22LR will be the same platform if you choose to practice that way. If you do decide to get into action shooting, you should do a lot of practicing via the dry fire at home method. It's cheaper and you don't have to leave your home. Just make sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO AMMO IN THE FIREARM OR AROUND YOU. Practise sight focus and consistent trigger presses, a really good grip to handle and control recoil. Bob Vogel has a video on YouTube showing his way to grip a handgun, I like it. Also btw if you go with a Norc like an NP-22 (Sig P226 clone) or any semi-auto pistol with a hammer, keep in mind in IDPA you start with hammer down, so DA pull on first shot. Not a deal breaker but just thought I'd mention. Here is a link to Bob Vogel's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

But most of all, besides being safe and practice, practice, practice...HAVE FUN!

Cheers
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong