Page 1 of 24 1234567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charges

Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charges

Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charge

By Brant Hilton // October 1, 2016 - 9:13pm
    Updated: October 3, 2016 - 4:39pm

A fairly new type of insurance allows Canadian gun owners to defend themselves and their property with a firearm without the fear of being crippled by legal fees if charges are laid against them.

An apparent spike in rural crime in the province has farmers speaking out about protecting their property, and the fact guns could be a contributing factor in doing that. However, there is a fear using a firearm for that purpose will only result in harm being inflicted upon themselves.

“We’ve had so many instances of firearms owners being almost financially ruined by charges that’ve been levied against them by police that had no idea of what the Firearms Act was really about,” explained Tony Bernardo, Executive Director of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA).

Bernardo said for about three years now firearm legal defense insurance has been available.

According to Bernardo, insurance companies created a policy that covers up to $500,000 in legal defenses if someone is charged with a firearms crime.

The policy covers, among other things, defense from prosecution if someone is charged with an offence stemming from the use, storage, display, transportation, or handling of a firearm. The policy also covers cases where a firearm is used in self defense, and the cost of retaining a lawyer.

The program covers up to $150,000 per claim up to an annual max of $500,000. It also offers unlimited legal advise over the phone, which can be about any subject.

This type of insurance costs around $95 per year, but if the customer is a member of the CSSA they get a $10 per year discount.

Thousands of people have the insurance, although the exact number is not known.

Bernardo claims there have been cases where charges have been dropped once the crown discovers the defendant has firearm legal defence insurance.

“The crowns are using the process as the punishment, and they’ll go forward with charges they know are frivolous charges or incorrect charges in order to weigh a punishment on this person because they can’t get a conviction, so they’ll punish you financially.”

Bernardo added this insurance acts as a safety blanket for gun owners.

To learn more about this type of insurance, visit CSSA’s website or www.firearmlegaldefence.com.
    Last edited by Wolverine .303; 10-04-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Switched SK for Canada

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    "Bernardo claims there have been cases where charges have been dropped once the crown discovers the defendant has firearm legal defence insurance."

Wow, that's maddening. How corrupt is our legal system when people are punished by the crown who knows they don't have a case.
    #Originally Posted by#rustyn*t1#

Are you talking about checkers? Snakes and ladders? Trudeau is not smart enough to play chess.

For what it is worth I just signed up myself, and I consider I understand the firearms laws better than most. Legal bills can get very expensive fast.

Business Member Saskatoon Gunworks's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up John!

CGN Regular
    Near Barrie, ON and close to Wasaga Beach/Midland
    I believe I will get this as well... Totally worth it if anything ever does happen
    (2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine that
    (a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that
    (i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedNugent View Post
    "Bernardo claims there have been cases where charges have been dropped once the crown discovers the defendant has firearm legal defence insurance."

Wow, that's maddening. How corrupt is our legal system when people are punished by the crown who knows they don't have a case.
    The process is the punishment. Criminal charges, possible prison time, stress, firearms and licence seized, Crown delays, delays, delays driving up legal costs, financial ruin, friends, co-workers, neighbours looking at you thinking you must be guilty of something or why the criminal charges, etc, etc. Better just to plead guilty to avoid prison and save 10's of thousands of dollars in legal costs, face a ten year firearm ban and forfeit all your guns. But now you have a criminal record for "weapons offences". Try travelling or applying for a job that requires a background check.

Insurance coverage is cheap, cheap, cheap.
    Last edited by StoneHorse; 10-05-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

This is good news and it's about time.

Does this insurance work in Quebec?

Quote Originally Posted by sametwinnie View Post
    Does this insurance work in Quebec?
    GOOD NEWS! Firearm Legal Defence is now available in Quebec! Be sure to tell your friends!

If you are a Quebec resident, contact:

Groupe Cyr & Lyras

Toll Free: 1-855-847-1442

info@cyrlyras.ca

Note that online registration is not available for Quebec. Call or e-mail your name and phone number and a representative will personally prepare your application

i could have used this about 15 years ago so hell ya iam in maybe go and purposely get caught using some of my newly prohibited Ruger 10/22 mags

Page 1 of 24 1234567891121 ... LastLast