Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AR15 optics suggestion

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-2-2 View Post
    Thank you for yours thoughts - helpful. I guess I have to just get out and test them. Seems like some shooters also like the acogs and vortex razors.

Maybe I'm using the term tactical scope incorrectly.
    Both the Razor and ACOGs are fixed power gun sights. The advantage to the ACOG is it has a bullet drop compensator or BDC reticle so you can hit out to range. If you choose these optics ( along with any other RDS style), you must decide what kind of shooting you do the most of. Anything under 100yds, a regular 1x RDS with a 1-2 MOA dot should work fine. If you shoot 3 gun, then a magnified optic like a 1-4x would work better. I want a light rifle ( and due to budget constraints!) so I decided to sacrifice accuracy on the distance shots and try and make up for it on the closer ones.
    RDS and holo sights have the advantage of a wide field of view and to shoot with both eyes open at close quarters. Scopes mostly have a fixed focal distance so close quarter shots take practice but you make up for it on distant shots. You need to decide what you want to do and strike a (imperfect) balance.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Thanks. Much clearer now. Time to decide.

This is a timely and enlightening discussion of the topic at hand from a man who likely has forgotten more about shooting than the vast majority of us will ever learn (his bio is at the bottom of the article).

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/10/15...hackathorn-19/

Cheers!

ETA: Note, although the article references a particular brand (and really, who doesn't shill these days...) the overall advice of the article is sound regardless of the brand of optic you choose. As this is in a sponsor forum I apologize if the article I linked is inappropriate due to the brand reference.
    Last edited by jadam; 10-16-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: ETA clarification re sponsor brands

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    This is the Canada Ammo PAID forum.

Comments should be limited to optics that are sold by Canada Ammo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Oh CR*P! Never even noticed!
    My bad and apologies!
    Thanks DM.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234