Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Cabinet Sufficient to Satisfy RCMP Storing Restricted Firearms Guidelines

Gun Cabinet Sufficient to Satisfy RCMP Storing Restricted Firearms Guidelines

Hi fellow gunnutz,

I'm very new to gun ownership and have recently acquired my first restricted firearm and I wanted to be sure what I have for storage satisfies the regulations before it arrives by mail or I will get something stronger. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stack-on-8-gun-cabinet-0755676p.html#srp

Thanks,

From NCPI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    That will do fine. Even just storing the restricted in your transportation case (locked box and trigger lock) is enough.
    Make yourself happy with how you are storing your firearm. Prevent anyone else in your household from be able to get at
    your firearm and you have done enough. Safes are for delaying theft by intruders (or fire damage).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPI View Post

recently acquired my first restricted firearm and I wanted to be sure what I have for storage satisfies the regulations
    Yes Your Honour I checked with the internet. They said it was OK.

The regulations are broad, and were written that way before the law was passed. Not everyone could predict what kind of lockable container would be available. The theory (and I don't earn my living on legal advice) is that the container must be opaque so the contents are not apparent. Secondly, the walls and doors must be sufficiently strong to resist entry. There hasn't been much case law on how much resistance is enough. Finally, you need to prevent unauthorized access, so drunk Uncle Bob can't find the keys and show his other drunken party friends what kind of guns you've got in there while you are making a beer run at the 2nd Intermission.

What works? The most common gun cabinet is just like the one you linked. Some combinations of trigger locks, disassembly and additional locks are a matter of you, your conscience and the latest storage advice the feds publish.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Regular
    Legally it should be fine, but they charged some guy with a basement vault with unsafe storage after some crooks spent a few days breaking into it. Hopefully someone here will link the story, I can't remember the province or the dudes name at the moment. It seems like the RCMP likes to file charges and then see what sticks. Join one of the advocacy groups (CSSR, CFSA) and get the legal defence insurance, just in case.
    "I'm never in a hurry, I'm just movin' fast."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    You are fine. Storage laws were never about thief prevention but to keep nosy relatives and curious children from accessing your firearms. Throw a trigger lock on the restricted if you feel you must. Having said that.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyhavok View Post
    It seems like the RCMP likes to file charges and then see what sticks. Join one of the advocacy groups (CSSR, CFSA) and get the legal defence insurance, just in case.
    Last edited by StoneHorse; 10-14-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: nosy

BANNED
    Legally it should be fine, but they charged some guy with a basement vault with unsafe storage after some crooks spent a few days breaking into it. Hopefully someone here will link the story, I can't remember the province or the dudes name at the moment. It seems like the RCMP likes to file charges and then see what sticks. Join one of the advocacy groups (CSSR, CFSA) and get the legal defence insurance, just in case.
    I remember this story too. Unfortunately, given enough time, tools, and determination anything can be broken into, even bank vaults. Hopefully RangeBob in 3...2...1...

It's fine this week....who knows how they will interpret storage laws next week.
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    NFA CSSA

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo7101 View Post
    It's fine this week....who knows how they will interpret storage laws next week.
    Or given all the new policy/interpretation reversals, maybe even in the next few minutes.

When we arrived in Canada our first gun safe was a lockable red Crappy Tire tool box when we bought our first Canadian handgun (Ruger Gov't model .22LR pistol) .
    A converted school locker after that and then when our arsenal expanded a full fledged Browning safe that weighed hundreds of pounds.
    Now that we have whittled down to 5 non-restricted firearms between the 2 of us we have one of those 10 gun lockable cabinets you can buy at Costco, WalMart or Crappy Tire for less than a couple of hundred bucks.

BANNED

Sure they did, internet stories and folklore,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast