Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Optics line development - Need your input

CGN Ultra frequent flyer norlandgeese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by norlandgeese View Post
    Do you mean the quality will be at the Schmidt-Bender and IOR level? Or just that you like the features of those brands?

It would be great if:
    (1) Each click does exactly what it is supposed to do consistently.
    (2) Once zeroed it does not shift.
    (3) If anything goes wrong, it is backed up by the kind of warranty Vortex offers.
    (4) Accurate side parallax adjustments.
    (5) Compact 1-6.
    (6) Compact fixed 6.
    (7) Usable built in back-up iron on top, better that the ones on the Elcan scopes.
    (8) Horus reticle
    Mismatch is the new black

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I have a 1-4x, I have a hard time continuing to justify it's existence.
    2-10x? Sign me up. Even the 2-8x is more functional to me than 1-4x
    And honestly, 3-12x is likely the sweet spot for what I need.
    Fixed 4x? Considering the amount of time I put my 4x lower than 4, it might as well be a fixed power scope.
    Fixed 10x, I agree with NavyShooter. Make it a bushnell 10x killer.

I like spring loaded turrets I can reset to zero easily.
    3.5"+(I like 4") eye relief that's consistent is preferred.
    10x magnification and above, needs adjustable parallax.
    I'd prefer a germen #4 reticle for lower power scopes

My rifles are pretty much limited to 100yrds as the closest common use distance, while I might find myself on the range shooting 600yrds the odd day.
    Hence, why my thoughts are likely different from others.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

1) FFP
    2) locking turrets that match the reticle and have a zero-stop
    3) illuminated christmas-tree reticle that matches the turrets and is not BDC (not horus though, since their royalties add to the price)
    4) 4x or more zoom (ie 1-4, 2-8, 3-12, 4-16, etc)
    5) parallax adjustment

in the case of a 1-x scope parallax adjustment not necessary, and a dual focal plane setup would be best.
    TINVOWOOT

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Everyone shooting 3-gun now is using an optic that switches to zero magnification for close in shots.

Then flip a lever and instantly go to 4x or 6x or whatever magnification.

Make sure your scopes do that. It's a big selling point.

I'm always on the lookout for an FFP scope like my Falcon Menace but with better glass that doesn't cost thousands:
    FFP
    4-16x44ish
    mil/mil
    30mm tube
    some sort of enhanced mildot

CGN Regular
    I say take a page out of vortex's book; they offer the best glass in any given price range that I have seen, up until the options include swarovski. They have a warranty that undoubtedly sells more items and engenders customer loyalty (I have personally passed over other brands and bought vortex knowing that if it breaks it will be fixed, no questions). As for a product line, the market seems to be short on scopes that have reasonably portable sized objectives. I doubt I am alone in using my riflescope to be a spotter at the range when shooting or zeroing, but when I hunt I dont really want a 56mm objective to pack all over hell's half acre. So for a hunting rifle scope, a large magnification range is a huge plus, but not the massive objective. I say a 3.5-18 or 4-20x44 is a pretty ideal product; a 3.5-21x44 would be amazing. Most hunters are happy with the ability to use up to 7-8x in low light but can cheat and use their riflescope to spot targets at the range in daytime light. Also, unless you want a scout/pistol scope it is hard to find a 2 or 2.5x fixed at all. A 2 or 2.5 fixed by 20 or 25mm with good glass and an illuminated reticle in the $300-400 range would be a great product.
    As an aside, a feature that really seems to sell well is a ballistic turret type system. I personally like them, even knowing that they are of fairly limited use (lets be honest, who here can actually, reliably shoot more than 400 meters in a hunting situation? If its less than 400m, the ballistic systems are of little utility shooting most modern cartridges), but as you must sell this product I would think that it would be a feature that many, if not most, are looking for.

Honestly I think the trend RIGHT NOW is the 1-4 and 1-6 30mm tube. Like the Vortex strike eagle and the Vortex crossfire II.
    :D

What would be awesome is a matched set of lenses (in what ever the magnification is you choose to get made) scope , field binoculars . Helps with eye transfer when out in the field.

4-24x range for magnification, 30mm tube. I have a Vortex Strikefire for my 1-6x needs but I'm very interested in a good long range scope for my Model 10 PC.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer legi0n's Avatar
    just bring in IOR