Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 810111213141516171819202122232425262838 ... LastLast

Thread: APC223-SA Final specifications - place your order now.

Quote Originally Posted by monahov View Post
    Mr. Wolverine,

The only obstacle preventing me from placing the order is the barrel. I might be in minority, but ideal configuration for me would be using the original B&T barrel specification but in non-restricted length. That would be cold hammer forged barrel with the 1 in 7 twist. I'm aware of pros and cons, but I also believe, that B&T engineers put a lot of thought into their original barrel decision. Here is what the APC 223 PDF on their website says: “The hammer forged barrel is designed for optimal transitional ballistics and long barrel life. This 1 in 7'' twist rate is the best all-around for many different loads and bullet weights.” Those may be just nice words common in promotional materials, but I actually like long life expectancy of cold hammer forged barrels – I want it to last for ages. Many might find it economically unreasonable, but I like playing with heavier 75 or 77 grain ammo and want the barrel to have optimal performance with those heavier bullets – it's a technological hobby. I also like keeping my toys according to their original design specification as much as it is possible in our Canadian context – I believe many of us have that collector's interest, especially when it applies to expensive hi-end products.

As I mentioned, I realize, that I might be in minority, but I believe I'm not the only one. Since this magical number of 20 came up recently, it would be really interesting to estimate if there is enough interest for such configuration, if it's feasible. Maybe we could run a poll?

I realize, that it might take longer than the already confirmed configuration with the 1 in 9 twist. But I would be still willing to wait another 6 months for another batch with non-restricted barrels of original specification and would gladly place an order if such configuration is confirmed.

I apologize if I'm making it overly complicated and thank you for making this huge effort to bring this rifle to Canada!
    We would be happy to look into this, but no promises on the outcome. Thanks for your input.

Super GunNutz
    I'm looking forward to it as is. I've been out of the hobby for 10 years, so this will be a light year ahead of the last .223 I shot.

CGN Regular
    Order placed !

Calgary, AB - Home of the Southern Alberta Defence Force (SADF)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Yes but you can have her in .308 (7.62 NATO) next year.
    Seriously? I am waaaaaay down with that!!! 6.5 Creedmoor would be bueno as well, but I understand you may be constrained with regards to the latter.
    Last edited by Shooster; 10-30-2016 at 08:40 PM.
    "Let the shoosting begin!!!" - Goldmember - Circa 2002

CGN Regular
    My only concern with this gun is the stock.

With the long barrel the APC will be front heavy and not so fun to shoot off hand.

In the NR configuration i see the APC like a medium to long range semi auto. The Lothar Walther barrel are top notch quality and i'm sure the accuracy will be awesome. You really have to borescope a Lothar Walther to see the finish in these barrels.

The stock will be to low to have a good cheek weld like the Swiss arms.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monahov View Post
    Mr. Wolverine,

The only obstacle preventing me from placing the order is the barrel. I might be in minority, but ideal configuration for me would be using the original B&T barrel specification but in non-restricted length. That would be cold hammer forged barrel with the 1 in 7 twist. I'm aware of pros and cons, but I also believe, that B&T engineers put a lot of thought into their original barrel decision. Here is what the APC 223 PDF on their website says: “The hammer forged barrel is designed for optimal transitional ballistics and long barrel life. This 1 in 7'' twist rate is the best all-around for many different loads and bullet weights.” Those may be just nice words common in promotional materials, but I actually like long life expectancy of cold hammer forged barrels – I want it to last for ages. Many might find it economically unreasonable, but I like playing with heavier 75 or 77 grain ammo and want the barrel to have optimal performance with those heavier bullets – it's a technological hobby. I also like keeping my toys according to their original design specification as much as it is possible in our Canadian context – I believe many of us have that collector's interest, especially when it applies to expensive hi-end products.

As I mentioned, I realize, that I might be in minority, but I believe I'm not the only one. Since this magical number of 20 came up recently, it would be really interesting to estimate if there is enough interest for such configuration, if it's feasible. Maybe we could run a poll?

I realize, that it might take longer than the already confirmed configuration with the 1 in 9 twist. But I would be still willing to wait another 6 months for another batch with non-restricted barrels of original specification and would gladly place an order if such configuration is confirmed.

I apologize if I'm making it overly complicated and thank you for making this huge effort to bring this rifle to Canada!
    Well stated, and you are not alone.

As a lefty, I'm also concerned with putting my cheek on a non-adjustible stock that could see one eating the stock hinge ala G36.
    https://www.bt-ag.ch/shop/eng/schult...t-apc-and-gl06
    B&T have the stocks and adapters for their guns, so it seems sensible to be able to order it set up in the optimal configuration for each shooter, especially when you consider the cost and considerable effort to get these here.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN Regular
    Nevermind
    Last edited by John Rambo; 11-01-2016 at 05:42 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Well stated, and you are not alone.

As a lefty, I'm also concerned with putting my cheek on a non-adjustible stock that could see one eating the stock hinge ala G36.
    https://www.bt-ag.ch/shop/eng/schult...t-apc-and-gl06
    B&T have the stocks and adapters for their guns, so it seems sensible to be able to order it set up in the optimal configuration for each shooter, especially when you consider the cost and considerable effort to get these here.
    Still too low for optic. looks like cheek riser is needed regardless of the stock style.
    https://www.bt-ag.ch/shop/eng/schult...able-apc-stock

This is better, this a B&T adapter, it needs a little tweaking but I like it. Now I have a really good cheek weld. LOP is good, I can bring the scope back a little to get correct eye relief. Balance is also much improved but weight is 12.5 lb. we will also swap the cheek piece for that for the AR10 and she will be even better.

Firstly the adapter is OEM, it was designed for a different application but it allowed us to test the concept. You all need to remember that we have taken a firearm that was originally designed as an Advanced Police Carbine (APC) and turned it to a "varmint" rifle so naturally we want to mount large optics, this raises the sight line. I appreciate a correct cheek weld more than most, so I have asked B&T to price the design and manufacture of an adapter that will securely accept any AR15 buffer tube, I have also requested that the tube be raised approx. 18 mm, I think this will allow for a large range of optics to be used and the greatest number of stocks. My rifle in the photo has a 50 mm Obj scope and it is mounted so low that the lens caps will no longer fit, as shown she is set up perfect for me, yet we could adjust the scope up a little and raise or lower the cheek rest according to the shooters requirements. The original stock is fine for an aimpoint which is what it was designed for.

I am looking into different barrel twist, the first shipment will be 1:9, if I want 1;8 I would have to order 100, I am not doing that, I am looking into 1:7 twist, will report back when I have news.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-01-2016 at 06:13 PM.

CGN Regular
    Thanks for all the work you're putting into this John- can't wait for mine to show up.