Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XCR questions

XCR questions

I use to have a XCR back in the day. I really liked the rifle but sold it as it was just to heavy for a coyote rifle (walking more than shooting) Iam starting to miss the rifle and I see you now have a lightweight barrel and keymod combo as an option.

What is the weight savings over the full rail heavy barrel one I owned? how is the balance? I ended up putting a magpul UBR stock on mine to compensate for the heavy muzzle feel, Last question is what is the average accuracy of these new rifles with the lightweight barrels? I was able to hold 2.5-4" groups at 200 yards which was more than enough for it's purpose.

Thanks

Jason

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    The XCR L with the lightweight 16" barrel is 7.5 lbs according to RA website.
    |CCFR|

CGN Regular
    I have fired and held an XCR-M with two different upper + barrel combinations. The keymod plus light barrel makes a big difference in my opinion, and is a noticeably lighter to both carry, and to point, than the quad rail plus standard profile barrel.

Granted this is for the .308 XCR-M, but I would suggest that it's similar weight savings for the XCR-L.

With the keymod version and light barrel you're saving about 1.5 lbs, the major difference is the balance. I owned a quad rail years ago and sold it, due to being way too front heavy. I've since gotten and XCR-L in 5.56 and 7.62x39, dedicated uppers sharing a lower, and XCR-M in 308. They've made significant improvements in the platform.

I'm happy with them for what they are, if I were looking for a dedicate yote rifle, I might look at alternatives, just due to current prices and many great options. If you want a multipurpose black rifle, the new keymods will most likely do the trick.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Aye, it's not the weight you save. It's where the weight is shaved from.
    I used to have one of the full rail models with a heavy barrel in .223/5.56mm The rifle itself was great for a semi auto shooter albeit pricey.
    But it was extremely front heavy. I shoot heavy guns, M14 stock config, Rem 700 Tac with bull barrel etc I can shoot them and handle them standing and kneeling no problem all day.
    The XCR in that configuration was brutal. Just always pulling down/canter levering forward at the pistol grip, so much weight to the front of a rifle that has almost no weight in the middle/rear (also had the light FAST stock on her). Made doing any rifle drills painful at best. Maneuvering that thing with one hand while doing magazine changes etc Just crazy front heavy. I sold it eventually.
    I then tried one of the new keymod one's with a pencil barrel at the club and the difference was unbelievable. The rifle felt properly balanced, like the old M16A1 set up. It's like two different rifles completely. I highly recommend it in that config if you can stomach the price for an okay accurate, semi auto blaster.
    My biggest gripes with the XCR (price aside) was the very short sight radius for mounting irons. Made it hard to shoot accurately past 100 meters and still hit anything with good effect unless it was a torso sized target. Not relevant to most but I'm an iron sight shooter almost exclusively. Mine was unbelievably reliable for what it's worth. Thousands of rounds through it on gas setting one without so much as a stoppage. Very reliable and beefy design.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Regular
    Yeah i had an xcr-m 308 with heavy barrel and full quad rail and sold it too. Way too front heavy.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    I held an XCR in the gun store for a minute or two.

That was enough to convince me that I would never want to carry it in the bush.

This was the original non-restricted version, with the really thick barrel.

CGN frequent flyer
    I went from a late gen quad rail HB to current gen key-mod pencil barrel, big difference in feel and balance. Glad I upgraded. I also noticed a big difference in trigger. The quad rail had trigger slap, latest gen a much better trigger.
    CCFR Member

I have owned an xcr l keymod in x39 for three years and it's as light to carry as any AR I've ever fired well somewhat but it's easy on the shoulders any way great rifle for hunting and carry is no problem go ahead and buy you won't be as sorry as buying it last time

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VancouverS4 View Post
    I went from a late gen quad rail HB to current gen key-mod pencil barrel, big difference in feel and balance. Glad I upgraded. I also noticed a big difference in trigger. The quad rail had trigger slap, latest gen a much better trigger.
    lol Yes I mine had the same issue as well.
    I researched it in the manual and it said "trigger slap caused by excessive gas, solution try lower gas setting"
    Mine did it on setting one! It was a small price to pay for the reliability of it I guess though. The thing would throw brass 20 feet away on setting one.
    Never had a single stoppage with it. Very reliable design. I wish I would have just found a pencil barrel to swap but at around $600 for a barrel I would have had to try and find someone to buy my heavy one and I just ended up selling the whole thing.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast