Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Scorpio EM332A Bolt Action Rifle .22lr

Close to my Friends, Closer to my Enemies
    Quote Originally Posted by grox6 View Post
    ...I'm curious about the back-story on this rifle. Is this a new production run of the previously available EM332's and if so, can we count on a steady supply of new guns and parts? Or, are these EM332A's made from re-worked old inventory? ...
    My point exactly. I could have bought an NS522 years ago, but getting parts, service for that bolt and action are none.
    Buying a Mosin at the same price represents a surplus of parts for repair. it's not like .22 LR ammo got cheaper.
    I already own an older CZ 452 which still has parts and service.
    “Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.” - Aristotle

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EHG View Post
    My point exactly. I could have bought an NS522 years ago, but getting parts, service for that bolt and action are none.
    Buying a Mosin at the same price represents a surplus of parts for repair. it's not like .22 LR ammo got cheaper.
    I already own an older CZ 452 which still has parts and service.
    Just to be clear, I'm not second guessing my purchase: I'm glad I ordered this rifle and I'm looking forward to it arriving and joining my collection of .22's. I'm also eager to see how it stacks up to my NS522's, Anschutz MPR, Savage Mark2, and other bolt .22's. I ordered mine with a few spare mags which I hope to share with my NS522's. If I read that these EM332A's are a one-off production run or left overs, then I'll consider getting extra mags(assuming they work in my NS522's and are 10round mags). If it looks like these EM332A's are likely to be around for a while, then I won't bother trying to "stockpile" more spare mags.

Beyond that, I'm honestly interested in the back-story of how these EM332A's came to be. Did North Sylva negotiate with a factory to dust off their tooling and make a fresh batch? Are they put together using some components that are left over inventory? Are the magazines a new 10 round design and compatible with NS522's?

Anyway, my questions are not related to any concerns or doubts I have about long term support for the rifle I ordered. I'm fortunate in that at the purchase price of $229, it is cheap enough for me to consider almost disposable but with the benefit of knowing this EM332 design is well regarded and reputedly reliable. As long as I get a few good years out of this rifle it won't floor me if I had to bench it due to a broken and unavailable extractor or some other issue later on. To put my lack of concern about this issue into context: I often spend more than $229 on ammo on a heavy weekend at the range with some of my other guns and all I have to show for those weekends are some happy memories.

Range report anyone?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
    Range report anyone?
    I don't think anyone has these in hand yet, it has only been a few days since North Sylva introduced them, some folks will probably receive them next week! It's gonna be fun either way, but hope they are accurate and the mags fit the 522!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    I look forward to hearing about how these shoot. I hope the first person to plans on DOING a range report brings a pile of ammo to try out.

As for concerns about spare parts, the pedigree of the rifle, etc. etc. etc...I guess I get it, but it's a $238 .22 bolt action. I wouldn't be stressing that much. Even if it's "only" as good as a Norinco JW, that's a pretty robust gun that is decently accurate. My JW15A backpacker has seen more bad weather than any gun I own by a LONG shot and the thing keeps chugging away. Not my favourite rifle by any means, but still..I'd be very surprised to hear that these guns had any mechanical failures.

CGN Regular
    What's the LOP on these? Is it sized for a youth or an adult?

don't know how long is the lop but for an adult
    Thomas Jefferson : "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Quote Originally Posted by .22LRGUY View Post
    I look forward to hearing about how these shoot. I hope the first person to plans on DOING a range report brings a pile of ammo to try out.

As for concerns about spare parts, the pedigree of the rifle, etc. etc. etc...I guess I get it, but it's a $238 .22 bolt action. I wouldn't be stressing that much. Even if it's "only" as good as a Norinco JW, that's a pretty robust gun that is decently accurate. My JW15A backpacker has seen more bad weather than any gun I own by a LONG shot and the thing keeps chugging away. Not my favourite rifle by any means, but still..I'd be very surprised to hear that these guns had any mechanical failures.
    Far better action on these then the JW series....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Shipping label is printed for mine from Durham Outdoors, hope to get it by weeks end! North Sylva, will these 332 be a regular Item now or limited, and will there be parts available for them?
    Last edited by bobdbldr; 11-13-2016 at 10:08 PM.

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    Shipping label is printed for mine from Durham Outdoors, hope to get it by weeks end! North Sylva, will these 332 be a regular Item now or limited, and will there be parts available for them?
    Also received a shipping notification with the predicted arrival on the 18th:-)