Thread: S&J shotgun mag spring trimming minimum length?

S&J shotgun mag spring trimming minimum length?

I have the Winchester SXP +2 extension, and I'm wondering what the recommended minimum extra length I should cut the brand new S&J spring to in order to get reliable feeding but easiest loading? The description says this spring is 10% stronger than factory springs.

Quote Originally Posted by grimreefer View Post
    I have the Winchester SXP +2 extension, and I'm wondering what the recommended minimum extra length I should cut the brand new S&J spring to in order to get reliable feeding but easiest loading? The description says this spring is 10% stronger than factory springs.
    you dont need to use the stock spring, its the same spring winchster use in the full lenght mag tube, we have tested it and it would 100% with factory spring
    bbb

I should have mentioned that my stock spring has been trimmed so now it is too short after adding the extension. I was going to grab the generic 12ga 48" mag spring as a replacement. I want to cut it as short as possible while still being reliable.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Why is it too short? I've cut one down quite short for added capacity in an 870 and it functions fine. Even with full power heavy buckshot.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post
    Why is it too short? I've cut one down quite short for added capacity in an 870 and it functions fine. Even with full power heavy buckshot.
    I cut the stock spring down as much as I was comfortable with to ease loading. Then I added a mag tube extension. I stretched out the spring in the meantime but I don't know if it will last long term. I'd rather purchase a new spring and cut it down appropriately.