Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 57891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: M 14 Used GI wood stocks.

Got mine in today, while it wasn't quite was I was hoping for in terms of style, it makes up for in condition. Only very minor dings or scratches, should clean up beautifully! The upper handguard isn't really salvageable, but that's not why I bought this in the first place. Totally satisfied considering the investment.

CGN Regular

Smile

Looks like I lucked out with both of mine:

I bought two to make sure I ended up with one I'm really happy with... but I'm really happy with both of them! Both stocks arrived very filthy, but they cleaned up pretty quickly. Neither of these have been refinished, and they're equivalent to very good or very good plus grade from the major U.S. based U.S.G.I. stock supplier. Nice grain on both, but no figuring as I'd hoped for. These were well bought at the sale price, especially with the hand guard, though neither would be refinishable to as new condition without considerable sanding and refinishing.

The stock the rifle is mounted in is a very dark walnut, has both proofing marks, and had minimal dents and dings, most of which I was able to steam out:

This ding was very deep before I worked away at it with steam. It could be completely removed with some light sanding, but I'm leaving this stock as is now as I intend it to be a shooter.

The lines in the finish were from steaming process.

The other stock doesn't have proofing marks, but it does have the rare fancy finish which is only applied to honor guard rifles:

I can't wait to see what the M14 parts kits are like once they're in!
    Last edited by Sh0ckw4v3; 12-10-2016 at 04:09 PM.

CGN Regular

Lightbulb

By the way, to clean these stocks I'd suggest using the steam cleaning method. Get a small pail, add a dash of mild cleaner such as Crud Cutter or Simple Green, and fill it with hot water. Lay the stock down on a towel, and heat up a clothes iron to the highest (cotton) setting, then get some cotton rags or shop towels. Rub the stock down and get it damp, then soak a rag or shop towel, fold it in half or a quarter, lay it over an area of the stock, and press the iron on it until it's nearly dried out. Repeat the process over the entire stock and you'll end up deep cleaning it and removing most of the small dents as well.

If your hand guard has chips in it or deep gouges, mix up some J-B Weld, and fill them in with it, making sure the J-B Weld is raised above the damaged area(s). Once the J-B Weld has dried, sand it smooth with 400 grit paper, then give it a coat of paint and the damage will disappear.

Here's my birch one after cleaning up and some BLO applied. Not sure which handguard I'll keep, one seems darker and thicker. (lighter one pictured)

If anybody need a walnut stock in rough shape, I have one available.

^^ So jealous, please don't post any more of it!

CGN Regular

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker View Post
    Gorgeous. I would be extremely happy with that stock. For some reason I prefer walnut on these rifles, but the beauty of the grain in birch is remarkable.

Cleaned her up and just applied the first coat of BLO, the stock is very tight fit like new. Super happy

CGN Regular
    I got mine!

Luck of the draw I guess, the one i received may as well be a tomato stake, it has a crack on either side that opens and closes as you cycle the action..

CGN Regular

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by rekx View Post
    I got mine!

Luck of the draw I guess, the one i received may as well be a tomato stake, it has a crack on either side that opens and closes as you cycle the action..
    Looks like you're in need of a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by rekx View Post
    I got mine!

If you stock is cracked badly please e-mail photos of the cracks to Sales@wolverinesupplies.com and we will issue a full refund. No need to return the cracked stock, if you can make anything of it, good luck. Sorry I can not offer a replacement as we have none.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I purchased these unseen and was very disappointed with them, I sorted through them and put the chop saw through about a third of them, it appears I must have missed the odd cracked one, sorry about that.