Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used restricted

Buying a used restricted

Hi there everyone. I recently sent off my paper work for my RPAL and im starting to look into purchasing a used pistol. So let's say a want to buy a pistol from someone on the equipment exchange forum. Do I need to be a member of a shooting club to do so? I know if I buy used or new from a retailer I'm required to have membership. I've been doing some reading but can't seem do find anything on the subject. Also how do you go about buying a pistol from someone on this fourm?
    Thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    It's not law but most cfo's want you to be a member of a shooting range.
    Requirements are no different than if you bought it from a store.

If you have EE access go there and find a pistol you like. Message them and say you want it. Check their feedback before and make sure they can be trusted. Pay for it. They will need PAL info and such. They will start the transfer. Once the transfer is done they will ship the firearm to you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Milanczar's Avatar
    Cabin boy aboard the New England whaler Pequod
    Do I need to be a member of a shooting club to do so?
    It is a 'hoop' that they can make you jump through.

What happens generally in Ontario when you go to transfer your first restricted and they ask you to provide the reason you are purchasing it.

They will automatically ask you to prove that you are intending to 'target practice etc' by providing proof of range membership before approval.

If you think it may be an issue it may be a good idea to have a range with available membership or two scouted out just in case.
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.
    - Moby Dick, Herman Melville

I was just curious because I was wondering if a good deal pops up on here but you aren't a member of a club yet. Or what about those people who may collect firearms with no intent to take them outside of their home.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris d View Post
    I was just curious because I was wondering if a good deal pops up on here but you aren't a member of a club yet. Or what about those people who may collect firearms with no intent to take them outside of their home.
    You can be considered a collector but any ATT wouldn't cover ranges I believe.

CGN Regular
    When you fill out the transfer info, write in "actively researching" in the area asking for range membership number.
    Probably a good idea to actually have a range in mind your checking out.

Or what about those people who may collect firearms with no intent to take them outside of their home.
    Again this can be subject to a request for proof of collector status. Some collectors here have discussed being asked for proof etc.

In this case I have understood that submitting a written document outlining why you are a collector and have a collectors interest
    as well as what makes the firearms you are collecting unique etc. (like a paragraph per firearm that you own etc summarizing its
    history and any tech features etc has been) is what they are looking for. Certainly cheaper than range fees and ammo.
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.

So it sounds like the easiest way is to just to join a club. I just thought I may buy a pistol over the winter and not join a club and shoot until spring. I didn't want to pay for a membership and not use it.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris d View Post
    So it sounds like the easiest way is to just to join a club. I just thought I may buy a pistol over the winter and not join a club and shoot until spring. I didn't want to pay for a membership and not use it.
    I would look into the MVRRC. Easy to join and fees are reasonable.

I don't know if they will make you go through the collector hoops in your location of course or perhaps wait until you have more than 1 firearm collected etc.

As you are going to shoot it anyway then check out some clubs to see if they are taking new members and what you are looking for and fees etc etc. Then you can buy and if they
    want proof you can just sign up then and if not sign up in the spring.

As I said your CFO may be different than Ontario or where the collector outlining what they had to do was etc. It would be handy if you could wait until the spring the collector route without writing an
    essay although it is just putting stuff together from Wiki about each firearm essentially. ie just a 'hoop'

With luck a person who has gone through the transfer processes as a collector will spot the thread and comment on their experiences first hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast