Thread: Two Issues on two of my AR's...

Two Issues on two of my AR's...

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could give some insight in to two issues I found regarding two of my AR 15's.

The first one:
    I booght an NEA 15 chambered in 7.62x39. This rifle has been great and I have fired corrosive and non corrosive through it. I have cleaned it well after every shoot. I even checked with NEA about the corrosive ammo and they said the barrel and chamber have a special coating to protect from corrosion so all is good until I took a light and saw a bunch of rust developing in the gas tube. I looked on forums and some said to just blast with compressed air, I did and it removed some but seems to have just blown it down the tube further as I still see rust, I asked NEA and the guy said he does not know a protocol on how to clean it. Should I just live with it and replace it when needed or is there a way to take care of this?

The Second:
    I use and M and P 15 22 for training and plinking and noticed a mark at the end of the barrel by the crown. I have not used a cleaning rod in the 22 just a bore snake and I have had teh rifle for about 6 months. I am pretty sure it was like this when I bought it from a dealer brand new but I was wondering if this would affect accuracy at all? The Rifle shoots alright but haven't done major accuracy testing with it, longest I have shot it at is 100 yards and being a 22 it misses at that rage regardless. At 50 yards a get decent groups but nothing super accurate less than 3 MOA I believe. What are some thoughts? I have a link to the pictures here http://imgur.com/a/ttNNx Might have to paste into the browser to see it

Thank for reading this long post!

For the gaz tube, you can run some pipe cleaning brush thru it to remove some, and live with it.

I've always been curious about corrosive shooting ARs and how people clean them
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Waynetheman's Avatar
    Well if you been shooting corrosive you gotta clean out the salts. However you do it is up to you, but it usually involves water.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Tough part is getting it cleaned from nooks and crannies.

Yeah, I usually use lots of oil and solvents to clean out all the salt primers, so it's been working so far. Will try the pipe cleaner method and see if it cleans some of it up. Worst case scenario I will buy a new tube. Nothing like shooting 20 cents a shot

In terms of barrel work on the my 22 though, you guys have any idea if I should re crown the barrel? That's the issue I'm more on concerned about since I have noticed some accuracy issues but have read on some forums that 22
    blets are not usually accurate as is so it can be hard to tell unless I am missing something.

would have to see a picture of the mark on the crown to make in informed decision if it needs to be re crowned but if the crown is marked at all, yes it will effect your accuracy

You can not clean salt with oil and solvents. You need WATER. And water cleans without a problem all nooks and crannies.
    Cheers
    NON SERVIAM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FSB View Post
    You can not clean salt with oil and solvents. You need WATER. And water cleans without a problem all nooks and crannies.
    Cheers
    ^^^This. I clean my WW-15 in x39 with boiling water, then dry rag, then lightly oil barrel and action. I pull the barrel through prior to shooting to get oil out.

Many 1000s of corrosive rounds through it and no rust anywhere...

Make sure you try many different brands of .22 ammo. It can make a huge difference for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by charles69 View Post
    would have to see a picture of the mark on the crown to make in informed decision if it needs to be re crowned but if the crown is marked at all, yes it will effect your accuracy
    http://imgur.com/a/ttNNx

If you copy the above in your browser it will send you to the IMGUR website where I have some pics loaded of the barrel. Would be interested to hear your opinion.

Thanks, will do that!