Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gorge on this.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar

Gorge on this.....

Taken from -Survival Fishing Techniques
    Last-ditch strategies for hooking, trapping and spearing freshwater fish
    by Kevin Estela

......Fishing is a sport. For those who make a living from it, it is an occupation. For those who may require the nutrition the fish provides, fishing is life. While sportsmen and commercial fisherman are governed by rules and regs, in a survival scenario all of these become irrelevant. Since there is a direct correlation between what is illegal and what is effective, look at the methods poachers use to improve your survival fishing return. Multiple barbs (double and treble hooks) can be weighted close to their eye and used to snag. Long lines involve rigging a single line with multiple hooks spread out on individual, drop-weighted leaders and leaving it unattended. Multiple species can be caught with this, and foul hooking is likely. Catch small fish and use them as bait (even if bait fishing is illegal). One of the best options for catching fish is gill netting. Nets can be created out of paracord, mosquito netting or just about any mesh. Be careful your net gauge (i.e., the size of the opening) is smaller than the fish you wish to catch.

Even shooting fish can yield results. My father told me of a story of a laborer who worked the fields in the Philippines who took an air rifle to the head of a catfish in a muddy creek. What I’m trying to convey is, your survival is your priority. In a true survival situation, obeying the law is an afterthought. Besides, in cases of survival, the court turns a blind eye to “poaching” means.

Primitive curved hooks are not easy to make, and when they are made well, they work only on fish with mouths large enough to swallow the glued or tied-on barb. Face it, there is nothing like a quality, modern fishhook. The only primitive fishhooks worth a darn are gouge/gorge hooks. These double-pointed hooks enter the fish’s mouth, are swallowed, and then are turned sideways with a tug. If you decide to make primitive hooks, or wish to bend a nail into one, at least pack what works as a reliable backup. Ask yourself this question, is it more important to carry makeshift hooks or know how to make them? If you’re relying on makeshift hooks in your emergency kit, aren’t you deliberately handicapping yourself? While you are at it, don’t carry a tarp and hope for no rain. Hope isn’t a plan......
    We now have gorge hooks in stock to add to your survival kit. Found here on the website.

We'll be adding more of these smaller items that will allow you to customize your own kit.

Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

Fishing is the one thing that's always bothered me about survival planning. I don't really like fish. Not a big fan of the taste, can't stand the smell and I worry that it'll attract bears. Of course, after going without food for a couple of days, fish might start seeming like manna from heaven

That being said, those are some pretty neat hooks and at $4 a piece you can't go wrong tossing a few of these in your kit. Does anyone here have any experience using this kind of hook?
    Nothing changes until people start dying, usually by starvation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    at $4 a piece
    3 Pack
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

GunNutz
    Similar to long lining but with a loop instead of a snap hook.This rig if good for catching bottom feeding fish such as catfish,American eel and ling cod.
    Highly illegal method.
    Also the American eel fishery in the Great Lakes has been closed since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagi Doppler View Post
    Highly illegal method.
    http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...S-2016-eng.pdf

on pages 7-8 of the "It is illegal to do the following:" section;
    "leave a fishing line unattended in the water"

Of course, if you're using these for survival then it's unlikely there's going to be a conservation officer around to fine you. And if there is, consider the fine the fare you paid to get a ride back to civilization with the CO.
    Nothing changes until people start dying, usually by starvation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer PitBull1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    3 Pack
    Thanks. Keep it coming
    http://oneclearvoice.ca/

What's the problem with attracting bears. Bear roast isn't bad! I'm not seeing a downside here.
    My wife calls me a pessimist. I claim I'm a realist. But I'm probably just an a$$hole with an attitude problem.

GunNutz
    Agreed.No downside whatsoever.
    Next day after the roast bear,a guy can grab a handful of now festering bear guts and go noodling for the really big catfish!

CGN Regular
    $10 to ship to AB?

i would buy but that kills the deal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Next time I buy stuff, I'll add these to my cart. Humm, in a SHTF scenario, I wonder if there's anything to catch in the Don River other than a shoe, old tire or occasional shopping cart. lol
    CSSA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast