Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restricted PAL Test Tips?

Restricted PAL Test Tips?

Alright so I've studied the restricted manual, and I've been to the range shooting some handguns. What I am most concerned with is the practical portion of the test: what should I expect? What is the trickiest part of the RPAL test? I haven't taken the course, I'm simply challenging the test like I did (successfully, 98% written, 100% practical) with my non-restricted PAL.

One thing I'm concerned about is how to use a revolver. I fired handguns at the range but they were all semi-automatics.

I would take the course, but unfortunately I am a rush to get this RPAL so that I can complete a transaction. There is a time limit.

Any tips are appreciated (especially regarding revolvers)

CGN Regular
    I challenged the CRFSC test having touched a handgun once before in my life (when bbq_woah let me shoot his single action 22 revolver). I would suggest going to a gun shop and seeing if they will let you dink around with a revolver. If you have a certain shop you go to often, I'm SURE they will walk you through the basics because you will more then likely be spending some money there in the future. When I did my test, the man was more or less looking for me doing things safely, not knowing my way around the firearm. I was able to ask where the cylinder lock, safety etc was (remember, there are tons of firearms out there, you can't possible know every single one inside and out.)

One thing to remember is the ATT, as well as laws regarding transport (you will be asked to get a firearm ready for transport).

Good Luck... And when your 28 days is up, try phoning the CFO if your app hasn't been approved yet, I did and it was being held for no particular reason, so the lady on the phone put it through to the licensing dept and it was done that day.

I am sure it will depend on your instructor. The instructor we had was especially finicky about the paper work. Make sure you include your transport permit!! (Apparently a lot of people forget that when preparing your firearm for transportation). Other than that, he just wanted to know if we knew the difference between a revolver and pistol, and of course how to handle the handguns. All in all, it's just common sense. Good luck!

The instructor was not being finicky, he was testing to the provincial standard. If you are unfamiliar with the guns being used ask for a brief rundown BEFORE you start the test (they can't answer questions once underway). Remember what you learned in the Non-Restricted course, add the new stuff from the restricted book and you'll be OK.
    Muzzle in safe direction always
    Finger out of triggerguard
    match ammo to data stamp

Thanks guys, I will ask for a rundown on the location and operation of the firearms before hand. Like someone said, it's unreasonable to expect people to be familiar with every model of handgun.

The instructor I go to is very nice and understanding and I'm sure he'll be willing to give me a rundown before the test.

My test is in 45 minutes. Wish me luck!

I guess it's too late to mention: know the difference between single and double actions.
    When checking whether a six shooter, revolver is loaded spin the barrel around more than just six clicks. This ensures that you didn't miscount and you're 100% sure there are no rounds in the cylinders.
    When putting the safety on with a single action revolver, remember to carfully (read: gently and slowly) pull the hammer back 2 CLICKS only! Not three by accident like I did.
    Other than that, it's all common sense... Oh come to think of it, I couldn't identify a "wadcutter" type of bullet either. Never have messed around with them or revolvers much like yourself. I'm a semi auto pistol shooter.
    Don't worry, you'll pass.

hey xxxxx, let us know how you did, i'm sure it would have gone just fine.

i think you give away your age. us older shooters, and i am 50, would have said the opposite, many of us started with and comfortable first with revolvers, and what are those dang semi autos are supposed to do?

revolvers are simpler than semi autos to start with anyway, while single actions are in their own special category, so jimpruner's advise on the special issues are right on point. regards

Well, I'm back, and I passed no problem...

I might give away my age: 21

It was my first time handling revolvers, so I was thinking along the same lines as you, jimpruner, and brushed up on the single and double actions before I left. Youtube is awesome.

I'd previously shot a 1911 and a ruger .22 semi-auto, but he handed me a weird 9mm ruger that I wasn't familiar with. Figured it out though.

My score? A respectable 98% (49/50) on the written, and 94% (47/50) on the practical. I lost 2 points (and didn't get 1 point for the same thing) for the muzzle leaving the safe area after I act & proved it safe and was putting on the trigger lock. Doh!

Not bad though, for someone who challenged the test without a course, and who's only ever fired 2 semi autos and never seen a revolver in real life, let alone handled one

Thanks for all the motivation and reassurance, folks

good job welcome to the club!!

if the goverment doesn't think your crazy

Do not look up the barrel with closed action. Other than that it is always better being too slow rather than too fast and nervous while handling a handgun. Take your time. The trainer knows that you are less familiar with certain types of firearms. That is no issue. But when you put other people in danger while inspecting a handgun you may run into problems with the trainer. They are only interested in your ability to handle a handgun in safe manner.
    Shooting is a GAME. It's like golf, but I have to buy new balls all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast