Thread: Newbie from WPG

Newbie from WPG

Hello fellow Winnipeg firearm enthusiasts! Now that winter is gone it's time to dust off the guns and get back out there (no I'm not hardcore enough to go out in -40 below). Because of that I'm actually interested in a membership at the Firing Line. I know there's been some posts here about just coming down on a Wednesday and meeting people, but I'm wondering if anyone's willing to provide some more info like membership cost, dates/times it's open, address, etc. I may also look into a membership at Selkirk but that'll be in the future.

Likewise, I'm looking at buying my first restricted. I'm looking for a 1911 (probably new) but wondering what peoples opinions are on make and model for a sub $1000 one? Also, any opinions on the Sig Mosquito (how appropriate for Manitoba)?

Cheers!

First... try posting this in The Introductions lol

Second... Firing line is in the 350$/year I hear. So if you plan to carpool to Selkirk its reletively cheaper.

The sig? I can only give you opinions on... its a .22 so its cheap to shoot... and I hear it decently reliable... never shot one though. Also you'd need something bigger than a 22 if you plan to shoot competative eventually. Its cheap around 450$ new or something.

You can find a decent priced 1911 on the EE, I wouldnt buy 'new' as a first gun, as they get abused and arent taken care of pretty well by new(er) guys anyways and you'll do just as fine with a used.

just my 2 cents

Luke

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rudy H's Avatar
    Since you are interested in having a .22 handgun (and everyone should have one) then get this first before you get the 1911. Shoot the .22 for a bit and talk to people about the different options out there. Odds are a number of shooters will let you try their guns.

While I like the 1911 it is not the best gun for everyone or for the type of shooting you may want to do. While I have a number of .45s I shoot a 9 mm for CDPA (CSSA IDPA) because it is easier and the cost of ammo and lost brass is much less than shooting a 45.

Try a number of different guns before making a choice.

If you didn't know, there is a decent gun show in Dugald this weekend. You might want to go.

Welcome Skruffy,
    I agree with Rudy.Buy a 22, shoot it until it gets boreing then move onto a larger caliber and for Pete's sake,don't worry about buying the PERFECT gun.You can always sell it and move onto another !
    BWANA

STRAIGHT SHOOTIN....