Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Semi auto .22Lr advice

Quote Originally Posted by WafflesOverPancakes View Post
    Seeing a bunch of people recommending 10/22, the reason I took that off the table is because looking around it seems like I can get an A22 for cheaper, and it's better out of the box from what I've seen. I just don't have the money right now to spend on customizing the 10/22. Just a university student getting into the sport so I'd rather spend the money on actually shooting.
    Why is it assumed it has to be customized? It doesn't, if you are just starting out. It runs fine out of the box for guys like me who aren't into customizations. I have used it stock for almost 20 years. Don't need it match grade for just shooting paper targets.

I bought my A22 brand new, and within 10 shots, something went awry with the firing pin (using plain old factory Blazers). Sent it back to Savage, and they replaced the entire bolt assembly.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The TM22 works just nice. There was good deals to be had on IRUNGUNS lately too.

The Savage has a "blade" trigger which some folks isn't very fond off. But they are available in classic and modern stock design. The TM22 is not.

The few stock 10/22s I've shoot over the last decades didn't leave me impressed to colour it mildly. They are gone with the wind...
    The Honking will continue until Freedom improves.

CGN Regular
    I have an A22 and a Marlin 795. Both with red dots and 25 round mags. Both only used for 25 to 100 yard steel ringing. Never shot a TM22. Limited experience with the 10/22. I had a 597 that I bought new...it never ran right no matter what ammo, mag or upgrades it had...sold it for pennies as a fixxer upper. I don't have a 10/22 because of the 10 round mag limit.

I like my A22 with a cheap red dot and a 25 round butler creek mag. I could do without the blade trigger but it is not a deal breaker. The accuracy, even with the cheapest bulk ammo, is very impressive. For 350$ for the entry level version (which is what I have) it is a great bargain and I would recommend it to anyone as an option. It was impossible for me to shoot it with open sights as I couldn't get my cheek weld low enough without having to contort my neck like a troll with spinal spasms. Overall fit and finish is wonderful. Smooth action. Bit of a pain to field strip but not a deal breaker. 2000 rounds in so far...no issues. No plans to sell it.

Marlin 795 - My overall favorite of all my 22 semi's. Bought it for 180$ back in the day and after about 15,000 rounds, it is still going strong. The only issue i've had is the typical cracking of the plastic trigger guard. It too is very accurate with bulk ammo. 25 round ProMag mags are also a huge bonus for plinking. It is very light...lighter than the savage which may or may not matter depending on what you are doing but after a 500 round session of off hand steel ringing, it matters. Shame they are no longer in production but if you can find one for 250 or 300$, i would get it. The only downfall would be the fit and finish...it looks cheap, the machining inside the receiver is kinda rough and the plastic trigger guard is prone to breaking by the action screw(s). It is by no means refined but it works very well. My 10 and 12 year old nephews love shooting it. If they ever start producing them again, I am for sure getting a new one.

I am currently building a custom highish end 10/22 (TUF-22 receiver) because I am tired of being a basic bit#h and i am a sucker for 25 round mags.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Army2006 View Post
    Marlin 795.

Totally underrated, economical, and reliable choice.
    Only to be outdone by the Marlin 60 SS

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by stewbud View Post
    This!

"The 10/22 showed up in 1964. Over 56 years, more than 7 million 10/22 rifles have been sold, and that number continues to grow."

Tough to beat the little Ruger rifle.

They are endlessly customizable, reliable and affordable.

Same goes for the Savage (Cooey)64, Canadian made, less expensive than they should be, all steel receiver, built by the millions. Generally more reliable than the 10-22... No need to buy a thousand dollars worth of accessories to completely rebuild it to get it to shoot.

I put an aftermarket folding stock on mine; rifle, stock, sights, <$350 before tax. Lots of fun. B22 = lots of plastic. Most reviews I have see by people without a "vested interest" in the rifles were good, but not stellar.
    Omne ferrum ignitum malleo!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Seeing a bunch of people recommending 10/22, the reason I took that off the table is because looking around it seems like I can get an A22 for cheaper, and it's better out of the box from what I've seen. I just don't have the money right now to spend on customizing the 10/22. Just a university student getting into the sport so I'd rather spend the money on actually shooting.
    I suspect that you do not realize that - once a firearm is updated, or renewed, or discontinued - parts availability is often a problem, and even ten years after a firearm is manufactured there may be zero parts support for it, from anyone, including the firearm manufacturer. Proven designs with millions of users tend to be supported, but less-successful designs are made obsolete, and often before the original owner could have ever imagined. For example... which Canadian retailers have in stock (Savage) factory magazines for your A22? Which Canadian retailers have in stock a firing pin for your A22? Which Canadian retailers have in stock a recoil spring assembly for your A22? Which Canadian retailers have in stock a bolt for your A22? I know what I want. Like the above posters, I'll take the proven platform with the tonne of available parts (over something relatively new and unproven) any day of the week.

Is that what you want? All that matters is what you want.
    Last edited by Wendell; 03-28-2024 at 09:35 AM.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

CGN frequent flyer
    I've narrowed my choice down to a Derya tm22 or a savage a22, as from my understanding they're pretty accurate out of the box and affordable. Thoughts, going to be shooting this gun a ton.

See lots of people recommending a 10/22. From what I've seen around online, the A22 is cheaper, and also shoots better out of the box. I don't have the money to customize a 10/22 atm as I'd rather spend it actually shooting just getting into the sport. Hard to find decent places to shoot for cheap living in toronto so have to budget for that.
    why are you stuck on having a semi-auto? good for rapid shots, but no advantage for training proper form and accuracy
    Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    Only to be outdone by the Marlin 60 SS
    Tube mags can kiss my ass. Lol

I do like my Savage 87D though...

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    why are you stuck on having a semi-auto? good for rapid shots, but no advantage for training proper form and accuracy
    No advantage? I'd say not having to manually cycle an action, allowing the shooter to stay in position and on target has its advantages.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Shooting fundamentals are the same no matter the action. Actually semi you got the cycling of the bolt, so that takes a bit to master. So there is still training to be had. So it isn't like they are trying to snipe 1000 yards with a 12ga and bird shot. As for Accuracy, some are just as accurate as a bolt. Plus just because its an semi, doesn't mean that you have to shoot them rapid fire.

22's are like Lays, you cannot have just one. I'm sure they will get more and more.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

I bought a used 10/22 in 1974, I have shot many tens of thousands of rounds through it with never any problem. It's still plenty accurate to take care of any pests.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast