Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Semi auto .22Lr advice

I have an A22 and 2 x ruger 10/22's (takedown and one in a troy chassis) The pros for the A22 is that it can run the 25 round mags as previously stated, and also that you can remove the bolt without having to remove the whole receiver from the stock. That being said the plastic cap can be a PITA to remove and place back on sometimes as you have to line the pin back up. Best reference would be kinda like how the cover removes from an AK or a type 81 where you have to push the button in.

Another issue with mine is that I've haven't seen with the rugers (that have a much higher round count) is that on the A22 is that a noticable dent on the chamber face has become obvious from the firing pin striking it..... might just be my gun. It should be noted that the Rugers have also been "dryfired" much more then the A22 ever had been. Dry firing isn't the best for any rimfire, but the A22 doesn't seem to like it very much.
    I will also make a point of saying that I do not dry fire my guns on purpose and that sometimes i lose count of the rounds left in the magazine and pull the trigger on an empty chamber sometimes. My rugers have had thousands of rounds through each and neither show any chamber or firing pin marks. Just something to keep in mind.

I had one issue with the ruger not ejecting cases and stovepiping - I just needed to file / smooth the extractor claw and that solved that issue.

If I had to choose I would pick up a Ruger 10/22.... it is a more solid gun then the A22 in my opinion.
    Last edited by Canada1812; 03-28-2024 at 03:46 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GerardSamija's Avatar
    I have a stainless 10/22 bought used from Reliable for $395. Heck of a fun little rifle, and I picked it from among the many which pop up at Reliable because it has a stainless Butler Creek folding stock, making it much more handy for stowing in a pack, and still comfortable for shooting (though some don't like 'wire' folding stocks).

You may as well keep an eye on Reliable's used rifles page, as amazing deals pop up fairly regularly. Right now they've got a few listings, from a synthetic stocked stainless for $395 to a rather fine looking wooden target stocked one for $995. Or maybe there's a similar shop where you live.

https://www.reliablegun.com/en/used-...5&pageNumber=1

As for the Derya, it's still relatively new on the market and not a whole lot to be found about reliability. But a good friend bought one for his son, and both the boy and the dad (and a few friends) all LOVE shooting that thing. Here's a sale on them from another site sponsor:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-Free-Shipping

As for spending a lot on improving a 10/22, I wouldn't bother initially. But hunting for Youtube tutorials on polishing certain parts and other DIY tweaks can really improve reliability. For mine, I 'ramped' the bottom back corner of the bolt to ease contact with the hammer, reducing friction between the parts a lot and eliminating stovepiping. Polishing trigger and sear (carefully!) improved the trigger a lot. Nothing much involved cost-wise there, just need to have a few grades of fine sandpaper - going to maybe 1000 grit, finer if you like - and some green polishing compound on a leather strop to finish the job. Making all the parts which rub against other parts smoother makes for a more reliable mechanism. This was especially important for me as I like CCI SV in all my .22lr rifles, so I adjust them until that round chambers and clears reliably. Not interested in hyper-velocity stuff, which admittedly cycles these actions more reliably, but is just more power than I want for plinking. The SV stuff is economical and always available, and decently accurate to boot. So for example with my GSG-16, I put in lighter springs, as it was plainly designed to cycle well with hotter cartridges and often jammed up with CCI SV.
    Last edited by GerardSamija; 03-28-2024 at 03:08 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Tube mags can kiss my ass. Lol
    Road hunter, eh?

Was watching one of the latest videos from 3 of 7 Project. Chadd mentioned his most reliable gun that he has owned is his Ruger 10/22. He said it has been cleaned once in 20 years, and it was inadvertently left / lost outside in the woods for about a year. Exposed to the elements for a year. He found it and shot it and it shot totally fine. That's a pretty great testimony on the gun's long term durability.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234