Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freedom Ordnance FX-9 10inch Upper Receiver IN-STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_1982 View Post
    You do you.

You’re wrong.

The 30 days is a regulation specific to registration certificates.

Go ahead and possess a Restricted rifle at a place not authorized by your ATT all you want, but don’t cry if caught.

Attachment 767225
    "Or at a place authorized by the chief firearms officer" - Registered and legal gun range/Licensed business, etc. (as per the CFO)
    Still not sure what you don't understand here, like I said, go call the CFO.

Temporarily using a shorter barrel length upper on a NR rifle is not illegal as long as the change is not permanent. it is no different than a friendly LEO letting you borrow his 17 round mag to shoot out of your personal Glock while at the range, as long as he gets the mag back after and you keep your 10 rounder. If it were illegal like you said, stores wouldn't have a market this large for sales, or sell it in general, ranges wouldn't allow it, and CFO would have denied my question about the same, nor would large names in the industry publicly post about it.

“ Or at a place authorized by the chief firearms officer”

Exactly. The restricted FX-9 you just put together is not registered to you, and not covered under your ATT.

You can’t just possess ANY restricted firearm anywhere you want because you have an RPAL and an ATT. The ATT only covers those registered in your name.

If the friendly LEO lets you borrow his pistol, he’s lending it to you under his direct supervision which is covered under a different section of the Act. He’s also not bound by the Firearms Act at all.
    CSSA and CCFR member

“ Or at a place authorized by the chief firearms officer”

Exactly. The restricted FX-9 you just put together is not registered to you, and not covered under your ATT.

You can’t just possess ANY restricted firearm anywhere you want because you have an RPAL and an ATT. The ATT only covers those registered in your name.

If the friendly LEO lets you borrow his pistol, he’s lending it to you under his direct supervision which is covered under a different section of the Act. He’s also not bound by the Firearms Act at all.
    Call the CFO? Speak to them yourself. Your opinion of the law is not above the law itself. You owning a restricted firearm you built yourself is covered under your PAL, you need an ATT to move it from the place of build if it stays in the R status, hence the 30 day notification requirement. If you fail to notify them with 30 calendar days, you are now in possession of a firearm illegally, assuming you haven’t moved it from where you built it illegally. Switching it back to NR prior to transport means you are transporting a NR rifle and piece of metal next to it. Clearly you didn’t comprehend my last comment about the magazine either, so I can only believe none of what I said earlier got through to you. Your lack of comprehension is not my fault.

As someone that’s changed classification on countless items, and registered a little over four dozen AR configurations, either for myself or other buyers I built them for, I’d like to think all those conversations with the CFO hold some ground, especially when the same conversations have led to me getting immediate authorizations to take any restricted I’ve purchased home that moment as if it were a NR. I still have to call in to complete my end of the transfer Offcourse, but that email I sent to me before I hang up.

Have a good day

You cannot possess a restricted firearm outside your residence without an ATT. An ATT is only provided to firearms registered in your name. Your current ATT does not apply to an unregistered FX-9 that you just put together at the range. You are in possession of a restricted firearm at an unauthorized place at that point.

It’s all there in black and white. I won’t be calling the CFO to ask because I already know it’s illegal, and I don’t want to tip them off that some folks might be doing what you claim is legal.

The 30 day window only applies to registration certificates already issued.
    CSSA and CCFR member

You cannot possess a restricted firearm outside your residence without an ATT. An ATT is only provided to firearms registered in your name. Your current ATT does not apply to an unregistered FX-9 that you just put together at the range. You are in possession of a restricted firearm at an unauthorized place at that point.

It’s all there in black and white.

The 30 day window only applies to registration certificates already issued.
    The above information is correct. There's a ton of confusion about this out there because people are thinking it's just like it was for swapping uppers on AR15s. It's not quite the same. Ian Runkle has a good video explaining this but I can't find it ATM.

I also received the incorrect information on this from someone at the CFC at one point. Just because a good intentioned call taker at the CFC says something, doesn't guarantee you're getting the correct information.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123