Thread: Lee Enfield Question

Lee Enfield Question

Hi,

I'm new to the sport, and I'm considering purchasing a Lee Enfield (.303 carbine) . I've search the forums, but I can't seem to find a specific thread on this gun.

Besides being allowed a 10 round+ magazine, are there any exemptions to the rules for this gun?

ie: barrel length, licensing, transportation......?

I assume not, but I'm checking anyways

Thanks

Try the milsurp forum. Use advanced search, and reset to search from 36 months ago. No special exemptions other than the mag size.

BANNED
    "...any exemptions to the rules..." Yep. Lee-Enfields are exempt by name from the silly mag capacity law. You'll only need a PAL. No other rules apply.
    A decent No. 4 Mk I will be easier to find than a No. 5 Mk I Rifle though. There are a lot of fake No. 5's out there too. Built out of No. 4's.
    Go here for info on Lee-Enfields. Info about the No. 5 is in Part Three.
    http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/main.htm

Just wanna point out, it's .303 british, not .303 carbine!

Welcome to the site/sport :D
    1942 No 4 Mk 1*
    1944 M44 :D

Thanks

I am looking to purchase a Lee Enfield and was informed that the forums here were the best way to find one. I live in Winnipeg, and have tried all the major retailers here to no avail. Does anyone have a functioning Enfield they would be willing to sell? Jungle Carbine works too. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Zach

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    that jungle carbine can be one nasty piece- that buttplate is HARD RUBBER and she kicks like a mule- best to get a nice long branch 4

The 303 British Mark 4 and Mark 5 are both usually good shooters. The carbine has a shorter barrel (out of the factory) but many were sporterized and had a shorter barrel as well as a rubber recoil pad installed. Still moderatly heavy when you load the 10 shot mag. (11 if you put one back into the clip after chambering the first one) so not much felt recoil.

CGN Regular

Smle

Quote Originally Posted by bsamartin View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the sport, and I'm considering purchasing a Lee Enfield (.303 carbine) . I've search the forums, but I can't seem to find a specific thread on this gun.

Besides being allowed a 10 round+ magazine, are there any exemptions to the rules for this gun?

ie: barrel length, licensing, transportation......?

I assume not, but I'm checking anyways

Thanks
    Just the usual gun laws on all Enfields. I am curious - how did you choose BSA Martin as a handle?
    Fellow Burlington collector - JOHN

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Twenty-five odd years ago when we first get bent over by the Firearms Act, there was so much clamor and noise that the No.1, 4 and 5 bolt action magazines for Lee Enfields were named as exempt from the magazine restrictions. Yes, there was an emergency conversion that made No.1s into Light Machine Guns, but these were so rare and tempermental that while the magazines could be used in a full auto, the feds said Canadians could be trusted to own the magazines.

As has been said, the No.5 has a small hard rubber buttplate that hurts like the dickens. Better to get a No.4 conversion from someone you know and will let you try before you buy. No sense buying something that won't shoot well, and you don't know why or what to do.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?